You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Images from iPhoto wound up in Aperture Trash #1
Patricia Hansen's picture
by Patricia Hansen
June 30, 2012 - 1:55am

Hello All,

I'd really appreciate it if someone could shed light on my problem and help me to solve it.

The first thing that I did when I moved to Aperture from iPhoto was to sort some images in iPhoto that I wanted to transfer to Aperture. These I placed in a folder and subsequently picked them up in Aperture. Suddenly, I see that this entire set of images is not only a project in Aperture but they also show up in the Trash! Since I don't recall sending any images to Trash I've had no reason to look in there. I think I must have clicked on it by mistake when I found these images. I'm afraid to empty Trash in case somehow it deletes them in the projects file which is exactly where I want them to be.

I would like to know if it is okay to empty the Trash and any advice on how to make sure this situation doesn't occur again.

Thanks.
Patricia

Patricia Hansen

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 30, 2012 - 8:21pm

Patricia,

Maybe they are iPhoto Originals?

Try moving all but one out of the trash temporarily and then emptying the trash, and see if it affects the matching file that is supposed to be there. Choose an insignificant file to test first.

And/or backup everything, empty the trash and see what happens!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

by Patricia Hansen
July 1, 2012 - 10:49pm

Joseph,
Thanks for responding to my problem.It would seem that I’m now more in a mess than before. Before I attempted to address things by trying your advice, I selected an image from another project and deleted it expecting it to arrive in Trash but it didn’t.

My problem: I had 333 images in the Trash as well as in a Project file imported from iPhoto. (Why in the Trash I’ve no idea– which forms the basis of my original problem.) I first selected one of the 333 images in Trash and tried to delete it but it wouldn’t delete even though the dialog box appeared confirming my request to delete, I clicked ok but nothing happened. Then, I thought I would do as you suggest and drag the images out of Trash, but it seemed a bit daunting to do that given the number of images. So…I created a new project and dragged them to it. All the images then did go to the new project leaving Trash empty. I then selected an image in the new project and tried to delete it but it wouldn’t delete. Then I thought I’d delete the entire project. At that point a dialog came up saying that if I carried out the delete it would affect the images wherever these images are also placed. So…I was afraid to continue in case it deleted them from the correct Project. Or, perhaps, had I agreed to continue with the delete it might not have taken place just as the individual image did not!!!

Sorry to be such an amateur – but I just haven’t a clue about what is happening. The irony is I so much wanted to have everything nicely set up when I switched to Aperture, but it seems as though the very first thing I did has wound up being corrupted somehow. Very disappointing.

Anything you can suggest further would be very much appreciated.

Patricia

Patricia Hansen

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 2, 2012 - 3:57am

That’s definitely odd. It seems like something may have happened where you’re Aperture library isn’t reading it’s structure correctly.

Are you using a separate iPhoto and Aperture library, or the same one - since now (as of AP3.3 and iPhoto 9.3) they should be on the structure and readable by both programs.

If you have two libraries, what happens when you open your Aperture library in iPhoto?

Also, it seems like a good idea to try to rebuild your library at this point. To rebuild your library, close Aperture. Then hold the Command and Option keys while starting up Aperture and a dialog box will appear. Click the 3rd option to rebuild the library database. This could take a little while if you have lots of images. Be sure to have a backup, always!

by Patricia Hansen
July 3, 2012 - 12:00am

Thanks Michael for your suggestions. I checked that iPhoto and Aperture libraries are on the same structure. I don’t know what’s changed because, unlike before, I was able to test an individual image of the 333 that I had moved from Aperture Trash to a project, by placing it in the trash and emptying it and then checking that it did not delete the same image placed in a different project. I did this a couple of times and gained confidence to trash the 331 images remaining in the ‘holding’ project without fear of losing them from other albums. It seems to have worked. Don’t know why it didn’t yesterday when I tried.
An aspect that surprised me, though, and it’s probably because I’m still very new to Aperture, is that I couldn’t simply drag the project file to trash. I had to open the file and Select All and then move the entire set of images to trash.

I’d really appreciate a follow up response – to help with my learning curve, really.

Thanks again,
Patricia

Patricia Hansen

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 3, 2012 - 12:33am

Glad it worked!

When you try dragging things to the trash, make sure that it’s the Aperture trash (under the ‘Recents’ heading) and not the system trash. It should work to drag a project there. You can also click on a project and then hit Cmd-Delete to move it to the trash like you would in OS X, but again - this goes to the Aperture trash. When you delete images in Aperture they go to the Aperture Trash, which itself must be cleared, and then those images go to the system trash. It is a multistep process to delete images, but it helps prevent them from going missing accidentally- which is good. :)
The one thing that’s tricky to understand about Aperture is that a single original file or “master” as it used to be called can only exist in 1 project, and all the versions can exist in any number of albums or events, even in different projects. Coming from iPhoto complicates this a bit, because iPhoto actually duplicates files in some cases which means Aperture likes to think of them are separate original files.

…except in this case.

by Patricia Hansen
July 3, 2012 - 3:47am

Thank you very much Michael for your advice. Based on it, I rechecked the steps I had taken and saw that I had sent the images to Aperture Trash under ‘Recent’ headings. I also checked the system Trash and saw the entire 333 images in there. I’ve decided not to empty system Trash for a day or two while I’m making sure that the ‘wanted’ 333 images are where I’ve filed them–so far so good though.

At this point I’m not sure if what I’ve trashed were masters or versions given that all the 333 images came from iPhoto. I thought I could select an image and somewhere in the program ask it to show ‘Master’. But I don’t see that option anymore!

Thanks again for all your help

Patricia Hansen

by Patricia Hansen
July 3, 2012 - 4:02am

Michael, I’ve found how to view masters. I didn’t realise I had to be in View not Browse.
Pressing M showed me that all the images in question are originals.

Patricia Hansen

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness