You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
How to merge reference file folders on an external HD #1
Florian Cortese's picture
by Florian Cortese
November 22, 2014 - 9:51pm

I have two folders on an external HD for my referenced files of photos in Aperture.  One folder contains my masters from 1999-2010 and another separate folder from 2011-2013.  I’d like to create just one folder with all of my Aperture masters and essentially merge these two folders into one.  I can easily do that in Finder, but I’m assuming by doing this  Aperture won’t know where the masters are now located.  So when I select the project folder (mine are grouped by year) go into file> locate referenced files I assume I can find this in the newly created one by drilling down through the folders showing up in Aperture’s replica of Finder.  But my question is do I select reconnect all?  Will this do the trick?.  I don’t want to mess with this and screw it up. Thanks

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
November 25, 2014 - 5:35am

Just have Aperture move the originals. Select the projects in Aperture and File->Relocate Originals… and use the dialog to tell Aperture where you want them.

Thomas

by Florian Cortese
November 25, 2014 - 6:43am

Thanks Thomas!  My plan to to create a new Folder with two subfolders, one for my old iPhoto Library and the other for my Aperture Library which is set up with folders by year containing my projects which follow Joseph’s y-m-d format. My guess is that I should create the hierarchy of folders in Finder first then relocate each year-folder that is set up in Aperture’s Inspector.  But what happens to the existing folders? Will Aperture “move” the photos in them or will they remain as a sort of “back up?”

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
November 25, 2014 - 6:55am

In my experience when relocating to a different location on the same drive, it actually moves the images. The original folders remain as-is but are empty. I don’t know if moving from one disk to another deletes the images from the original disk.

The Aperture Relocate dialog lets you setup a folder hierarchy automatically. There’s various different settings. You should probably experiment with a small project, see what happens and if it does what you want then do the rest.

Thomas

by Florian Cortese
November 25, 2014 - 3:46pm

Was planning on doing just that-try a single project first and see what happens.  Thanks again, Thomas, for the help!

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

by Florian Cortese
November 26, 2014 - 4:14pm

Just a follow-up.  I successfully merged all of my referenced photos into a single new folder last night.  What I quickly discovered was that if I tried to use my import preset or even select original file as the naming process for the photos being relocated I’d get and <untitled> snippet inserted to where my custom name was located in the original file at upload.  So I created a separate preset for the referenced file that was being located using version name_image date_counter and was able to capture the custom name I used on import.  Actually, looking at the file names this morning made me realize that I didn’t need to add “image date” into the mix since using version name captures that from my import preset. Just an FYI for anyone who might want to do this in the future.

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness