You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
How to "Audit" or verify all photos on drive are in Lightroom Catalog #1
GregW's picture
by GregW
May 25, 2015 - 4:19am

A few months ago, I bit the bullet and made the decision to jump from Aperture to Lightroom.  It’s been a small struggle to deal with the various differences and quirks of LR over Aperture, but for the most part, I’m adjusting.  I miss the relative ease and intuitive nature of most everything about Aperture and most of those have to do with the DAM parts of the app.  One of my challenges is that I doubt that I have everything that is stored on my drive actually in the LR catalog.  Is there a method for somehow validating this without painstakingly comparing each catalog with each folder on my HD?  

Thanks in advance for any input or wisdom on this.

Greg

Florian Cortese's picture
by Florian Cortese
May 25, 2015 - 4:32pm

How did you make your transfer?  That is, where all your photos managed or referenced?  If referenced, where they all in one location/folder?  If all were managed, then they are still in the Aperture package and more than likely would’ve been “moved” together (Lr will know where they are).  To confirm that I would think that you would have to open the Aperture package.  I do not know of an easier way other than clicking on a picture that is in a folder and then Photo>Find in Folder to see where that photo and those that are present are located to see if all of them were transferred. I think the likelihood of a folder of photos being lost or not recognized is extremely low unless you have multiple libraries or folders of pictures scattered in several locations. Remember the photos stay wherever they were located on your HD or external HD.  Lr just needs to know where they are located.

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

GregW's picture
by GregW
May 27, 2015 - 8:51pm

I migrated using the migration tool back in December.   I did this after baking in all the adjustments and saving files as TIFFs.   Like many, the workflow I had established in Aperture did not come across to Lightroom and I have some things I’m forced to do differently.  I don’t have a confidence level that those files I’ve imported since the migration have all been handled consistently (I’m questioning my actions, not the tool’s), each having been renamed, saved to the drive/directory and then after the fact as a second step, have a collection created with all the imported files contained in it.  What further complicates things is not being able to “sort” the view in Lightroom.

I’m finding since the migration that I work within Lightroom very little due to the significant change.  I’ve been more or less subconsciously avoiding it (I think), but it’s time to grab the bull by the horns, document a new workflow and force myself to use it daily until it’s ingrained as it was with Aperture.  

I’m just looking for a way to validate I’ve got a good set of data so that I can have the confidence that my setup and data is clean and consistent so I can focus on moving it forward.

Thanks,

Greg

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness