You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
HELP ME!!! ......PLEASEEEEEE!!!!! #1
Craig Andrews's picture
by Craig Andrews
April 17, 2015 - 10:46pm

This problem is more a Hard Drive issue as opposed to Aperture per say.   I have a LaCie 1TB External HD hooked to my IMac where I would download (back up) my Raw files while importing to the Aperture Library, which is on a separate external HD.  I recently turned on the HD that houses my Raw Back Ups to send some more files there while importing to my Library HD.  I got a message stating, “The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer.”   I hit the “Initialize button which took me to disk utility and I hit the REPAIR button and got a message stating, ” Disk Utility can’t repair this disk.  Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.”   I tried to restore the Raw Back-up disk to a brand new 3T External HD but when I hit the RESTORE button after identifying the source and  destination hard drives, I get a message stating, : RESTORE FAILURE - Could not validate Source- error 254.   When I turn the Raw Back-up HD on,  the disk icon doesn’t show up on my desktop or in the finder, not mounting I guess.   I’m not real savvy when it comes to Computers as you can tell.   So am I screwed, or is there a work-around for this.    I’d include the screen shots of my messages I receive fi I could figure out how to do it!

I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 18, 2015 - 7:20am

If it’s truly a backup disk then you haven’t lost anything. Connect the new disk and export all the originals from Aperture to the new backup.

If what you meant was you were storing your originals on that failed backup disk and the referenced Aperture library on a different disk, then you’ve got real troubles. Based on your description and what you’ve already tried, it likely can’t be recovered from that disk without using a professional recovery service at a high cost. They can literally take the disk apart and repair the failed part to get the data off of it.

One backup is not enough. You need to use the 321 backup method for best protection. 3 backups, 2 different media types, 1 offsite. And your originals are not part of the 3.

Thomas

Craig Andrews's picture
by Craig Andrews
April 18, 2015 - 6:27pm

Thanks Thomas.  My Library is completely Managed and I use a separate HD for the Vault(s) so I knew I could make a new back-up drive from my Library HD, I just didn’t know if there was any fix to get the faulty drive to Mount so I could just copy from it as opposed to my Library HD.  Anyway, better get at it.  Have a great day!

wveeser's picture
by wveeser
April 24, 2015 - 2:13pm

I have had good luck using Disk Warrior to repair problem disks.  Above all it has proven safe.  The fact that you can’t see your hard drive is not a good sign,

Good luck

wrv

gordonb's picture
by gordonb
April 24, 2015 - 6:12pm

Have you tried disk utility to mount your drive? While in disk utility look at the pane on the left. If you drive shows but it is greyed out, click on it,  you should then  see a ‘Mount’ button appear center screen. Click to mount. Hope this helps!

Craig Andrews's picture
by Craig Andrews
April 25, 2015 - 2:02am

Thanks Guys.  Yea I tried that Gordon but no luck, the disk itself will just not mount.  I think I’m screwed.  The disk does show up in Disk Utility but its icon doesn’t appear on my desktop and it won’t mount when commanded to do so from Disk Utility.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?