You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Getting my Masters back #1
Jane Smith's picture
by Jane Smith
January 21, 2013 - 7:52am

I wanted to transfer some images from my MacAir to my Imac & decided to follow some online instructions to export raw images to an external hard drive. I did this using the “relocate masters” in my Aperture library.

Long story short:

I've relocated all my master images from my entire Aperture library (on my MacAir) to an external hard drive. They have been saved as huge 16 bit tiff files (130mb+).

All the thumbnails of the images in my Aperture library have a red line through the box on the bottom right hand corner. I cannot work or export any of them unless the external drive is plugged in. When the external drive is not plugged in and I try to export I get the following message, “Versions with unavailable master files cannot be exported. The selected master image is either offline or not found. Please reconnect it and try again.”

I want to have all my masters put back into my Aperture library. Failing that, I would like to export them from my external hard drive to my imac in a more manageable file size.

How should I proceed?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
January 21, 2013 - 11:02am

Jane,

You have at least a couple of choices.

1. Bring the master files back into the library. Select the images in your library and choose File->Consolidate Originals… The masters will either be moved or copied into the library depending on the radio button selected during the command. Your exports will now work but you won’t have saved any space on your internal HD.

or

2. This Script sold in the ApertureExpert Store for $1.99 will convert all the huge masters to smaller JPEG files. Make sure your originals are backed up if you don’t want to lose them forever.

Thomas

Jane Smith's picture
by Jane Smith
January 21, 2013 - 11:59am

Thank-you, Thomas!!!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?