You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Funny quirk about importing movies-A Lesson #1
Daniel Dunn's picture
by Daniel Dunn
August 20, 2010 - 2:23am

I just came across a funny little quirk with Aperture 3 and importing movies. I had imported raw files off a card last night, but didn't realize a box was checked, something about “Import Only Raw/JPEG files”, so it did not import my .mov files from same card. No biggie. And just so people know, I'm shooting with a Canon 7D, stills and video, and I love the slideshow feature in Aperture3.
So this morning, I go to import the .mov files and they're not showing up. Huh?? I started playing around, cause I know they're on the HD where I can plainly see them in a Finder window, and under the top Import setting, “Aperture Library” where it it has Destination:, Project Name:, and Store Files:, under Store Files, I had selected the folder where the files where on my HD, not “In their current location” When I switched to “In their Current Location” they showed up. Weird? I don't know, I thought so.
So, the lesson is, select “In their current location”, not whatever folder they are in.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 20, 2010 - 2:44am

Daniel,

Curious… I just tried to reproduce that, but couldn’t. When I selected a folder of movies as both the destination and the source, the movies did in fact show up in the preview. I wonder if you were running into the other annoying Aperture bug where sometimes you just don’t see any images in the import preview, until you close and re-open the preview window? Can you reproduce the issue now?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Daniel Dunn's picture
by Daniel Dunn
August 20, 2010 - 5:19am

Sure enough, I was unable to reproduce the problem a 2nd time around, meaning, it’s working as it should. I don’t know, I’ve run into that issue before, where I close the preview window and then re-open it, b/c I was not seeing just imported files, and so I did it on this situation (the first time through) and Aperture did not work properly. But now, after being away from computer for a couple hours, I tried it, and Aperture is working as it should. Oh well. I’m glad it’s not a widespread problem.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 20, 2010 - 5:27am

Thanks for checking. Sadly, intermittent problems like that are a LOT harder for the engineers to fix… but at least it’s not a critical error, just an annoyance.

Thanks for checking!
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness