You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Found missing files which aren't in library?!?!? #1
Gavin Hall's picture
by Gavin Hall
March 30, 2012 - 2:59pm

Hey guys

Yesterday I bought a new 1Tb G Drive so that I could move from a managed to a referenced library.

I moved what I thought was every photo, but upon completion I noticed the library file was still 10Gb in size. So I opened the package contents to have a look and found that there are still a few masters in there.

These include quite a few photos which I had, so I thought, lost entirely. I cannot seem to find them anywhere within the Aperture itself yet here they are. Any ideas how this could happen, and how best to get them back into Aperture?

Many thanks.

Gavin

Gavin Hall's picture
by Gavin Hall
March 30, 2012 - 3:03pm

Update to my last, many of these files are in the trash but some of them are my very best picks and there’s no way I would have knowingly deleted them!!!!

Gavin Hall's picture
by Gavin Hall
March 30, 2012 - 3:46pm

So I created a smart album to show all Managed Files and it seems there are none. So how come there are still a bunch of Masters inside the Library Package?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 31, 2012 - 2:04am

Gavin,

Thanks for the updates.

For the ones that are your “very best picks”, are those masters on your new 1TB drive? It’s possible that these are duplicate masters, which would happen if you did an “open in editor” but then threw away the resulting file. Are they in fact RAW files or are these maybe TIF or PSD files?

Essentially, locate the photo in your library, and see if it is connected to a master on your 1TB drive. If so, then the above explanation is most likely what happened.

As far as orphan managed files, I really can’t explain why that’d happen except to suggest some kind of library corruption. Likely if you had a crash at some point while importing or duplicating or making a new master, this could happen? I’m guessing here, really.

Making a Smart Album to locate any managed files is a good way to go. Also make one that looks for any offline or missing files. However even with a Smart Album strategy I’ve found that sometimes Aperture doesn’t find everything until you “tickle” the project, that is to say, select it to load the photos. A good way to get the whole thing moving again is to load the Photos view, which shows all photos.

Oh another thing; be sure you’re not finding rejected files. Your Smart Albums needs to have ratings disabled so you’re not looking at unrated-or-better images only.

Let us know how that goes. I have another old trick up my sleeve for “tickling” files, but I think that was made obsolete after 3.0. But let’s start with this before moving on.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
March 31, 2012 - 7:12am

Joseph said:

I’ve found that sometimes Aperture doesn’t find everything until you “tickle” the project, that is to say, select it to load the photos

Wow. That’s a bad bug. I’ve never seen that.

Using the top-level Photos view is a good idea. Lots of usefulness in there.

Gavin Hall's picture
by Gavin Hall
April 2, 2012 - 1:59am

Hey guys, thanks for the replies:

Joe wrote: “For the ones that are your “very best picks”, are those masters on your new 1TB drive? It’s possible that these are duplicate masters, which would happen if you did an “open in editor” but then threw away the resulting file. Are they in fact RAW files or are these maybe TIF or PSD files?”

A good thought, but no, these were all images which had been exclusively edited in Aperture. For a while I had been lamenting that I could not find them at all. It seems they somehow ended up in the trash - I’m guessing unwitting operator error.

Anyway, it seems that files which had been sent to the Trash were kept in the library even after I had relocated the masters. Just as well I checked hey!

Now my next question is, having relocated all the masters, recovered the ones which weren’t supposed to be in the Trash, and emptied the Trash, why is the Masters folder inside the library still over 1Gb in size even though it contains no images?!?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 2, 2012 - 2:54am

Gavin,

I think when you relocate all masters, anything in the trash is ignored. Makes sense doesn’t it… why waste the time and space moving files that are scheduled for deletion?

As far as the 1GB masters folder… what is in there? Does it actually show zero items but still 1GB of space? Do you know how to view invisible items in a finder folder?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness