You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Faces "thumbnail" is all black #1
T L's picture
by T L
August 15, 2010 - 4:30am

I am starting to go through my Aperture Library to tag faces. However, some of the Faces thumbnails have turned all black, rather than a photo of the person. Is there any way to re-generate it, short of going to the photo, deleting the face square, and re-adding it?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 20, 2010 - 2:33am

TL,

To force Aperture to (re)generate a thumbnail, select the thumbnails you want to fix, and go to the menu Photos > Generate Thumbnails.

OR… do you mean the face thumbnail on the Faces corkboard? As you scrub over that preview, do you see other faces in the collection show, or is it always black?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

T L's picture
by T L
August 20, 2010 - 10:38am

Joe -

It’s on the corkboard. If I scrub over it, I see some that are not black, but some that are.

T

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 20, 2010 - 10:53am

TL,

OK that helps. Scrub over until you see a black one, then double-click it. That’ll open that image in its actual project. Rebuild the thumbnail (as described above) and go back to Faces; see if it’s been updated.

You can set the thumbnail that represents the Face by tapping the space bar as you scrub over the one you want, by the way.

If the above doesn’t fix, while I hate to sound like it’s the solution to everything, it often is—try a library rebuild :)

cheers
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

T L's picture
by T L
August 21, 2010 - 11:52am

Joseph -

I tried both your approaches, including the library rebuild (wow, that took forever).

The only fix I have found is to open the photo, remove the face, and then manually add the face back in. Problem is, I have several faces that are blank, and it seems like a lot of effort to go the manual route.

Thanks,

T

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 21, 2010 - 1:10pm

TL,

I wonder if there’s a faces cache in there that can be rebuilt. I’ll dig around, see if I can find anything.

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness