You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Facebook upload issues #1
Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
October 21, 2011 - 10:38pm

Hi all, this is the site I always come to once I couldn't find the answers elsewhere so I hope you can help me again.

I use the built in Facebook upload button to upload photos to Facebook. However, what I run into is that if I have e.g. 3 versions of a photo all of them are uploaded. How do I go about only uploading the specific version?

Further, when Aperture connects to Facebook to sync, it seems to create the same albums twice so under the Fecebook Folder, I end up with e.g. two albums called family, trip bla bla etc.

Any advice on how to keep things organized and also how to get rid of the double albums are greatly appreciated. Cheers. Jan

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 22, 2011 - 3:47am

Jan,

For the multiple versions; are these stacked versions? My experience is that the Facebook and Flickr up loaders will only upload the Stack Pick. However I wonder if the Stack is open, and you select all three of them, then click the Facebook button, if in fact all three will get shared? Even that doesn’t seem right to me… I’m quite sure only the Stack Pick will go. Can you elaborate on your setup?

The duplicated Albums are a bit more of a concern. I would start by repairing the Aperture database (hold down command-opiton on launch), and if that doesn’t do it, you could disable then re-enable Facebook sharing. The problem will be that it will lose the connections tot the photos in the Library already if you do that, so future updates won’t automatically get published.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 24, 2011 - 1:50am

Jan,

Do the duplicate albums have the same photos in them? How do you add more photos to the album? Do you select the new photos and click the Facebook button?

The best way to add new photos to an existing Facebook album is to drag and drop them onto the existing Facebook album name in the library pane on the left.

Thomas

Jim Bailey's picture
by Jim Bailey
October 25, 2011 - 12:08pm

Facebook is going thru some major changes right now. There have been so many hiccups with posting anything from a one sentence status update to a complete album, I have given up for now to let it shake off its growth pains and get its act together. Feature creep is rearing its ugly head on FB, which is too bad.

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
October 25, 2011 - 6:44pm

Hi Joseph, Thomas and Jim, thank you for replying and sorry for not coming back sooner.

I have Aperture set up in a way that any adjustment to an original creates a new version (I use referenced library) and the versions are stacked. In the beginning when I created first Facebook albums I used to select the photos (versions) which I wanted to publish and then I clicked the Facebook button. Later on I would just drag a photo(version) to the album as suggested here by Thomas. However, I noticed that when the version was not made into a pick of the stack then I started getting weird results (all versions published). At a later stage, I don’t remember when, I realized I have double albums from Facebook where the second one would be marked with number 1 behind it.

Anyways, I followed your advice and deleted the Facebook account from Aperture->Preferences and now it seems to only list the albums once. So that seems to be resolved. However, when I click on the individual albums to update (to download the photos in them) Aperture is consistently crashing. :) Fun times. I will try to rebuild the library and see how it all goes.

PS: When there were the multiple albums, they did not contain the same photos. It was a bizarre mix, some overlapped some were only located in one and some in the other version of the album.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 26, 2011 - 3:10am

Jan,

Jim could be right, it could simply be a Facebook issue. However it’s good to hear that the refresh of the Facebook account helped; not good to hear that Aperture is crashing now. But yes, do try a permissions and then a database repair.

As far as which photo is published, it’s supposed to be the stack pick, and if you have multiple versions not in a stack, then both will be published. At least that’s how it’s supposed to work!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Bob Miller's picture
by Bob Miller
October 26, 2011 - 5:37am

Hello All,
I’m a fairly new Aperture user. I’m curious about the “repair the database” comment by Joseph. What exactly does this do? The command-option hold down on launch that is.
Thanks for the explanation in advance.

Bob

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 26, 2011 - 1:08pm

Bob,

It repairs the database.

ok, just kidding ;-)

The inner workings of Aperture are a massive database that keeps track of all the master files, all the metadata, and all the adjustments that are applied to an image. Since none of those things are actually written to the master file, all the associated relationships have to be tracked. The only time this data is actually written to a file is on export, but then the master (the original) is still left untouched.

All that tracking is handled by the Aperture database. It can get damaged (crashes, corrupt files, the third moon of Jupiter going on holiday) and things can get, for lack of a better term, “out of whack”. By repairing the database, you can almost always fix oddities in Aperture.

The “rebuild database” option is a more extreme correction, which is generally only used if “repair” doesn’t fix it. The name is self-descriptive of the difference.

The three options in the First Aid box are meant to be run in order of need. Many problems can be fixed by repairing permissions, most by repairing the database, and then the rebuild is, again, the most dramatic fix available.

And to be safe, you should always back up your library before any repair work is done.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?