You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Exporting Files: RAW, JPEG, etc. #1
Jim Lusardi's picture
by Jim Lusardi
October 9, 2012 - 12:32am

Hi,

I have a Nikon D7000 and shoot in RAW. When I import my files into Aperture and roll my cursor over the file, the file size is typically between 16-18mb. I want to export specific files and upload them to be printed on metal, paper, etc. But many vendors only accept JPEG. If I save the file as a JPEG, won't the file only be 2 or 3mb at the most?

How can I save the file as a JPEG or even TIFF to produce a large print like 20 x 30 or 30 x 40? Thanks for any feedback.

Jim

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
October 9, 2012 - 2:16am

Jim,
In your file/export menu choose “original size jpg” or what ever suits your needs for the particular output device.

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

Jim Lusardi's picture
by Jim Lusardi
October 9, 2012 - 7:13am

John,

I exported the file to my desktop as an original JPEG. When I right-clicked - Get Info, it said 3.2 mb. Is that about right?

I just didn’t expect that much loss. I am concerned I will not be able to enlarge my photos as I intended.

Sorry for what may be newbie questions. And thank you for your thoughts.

Jim

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
October 9, 2012 - 7:39am

That seems small. I just checked one of mine and a full size export from a TIFF file to a JPEG was 18Mb on the disk. TIFF would be 50Mb or so I guess and has by far the most detail.

An export from a Nikon D3s RAW file to Original Size JPEG came out at 14.2 Mb.

Look at Aperture - Presets - Image Export in the menu and see what settings you have for JPEG Original Size.

Jim Lusardi's picture
by Jim Lusardi
October 9, 2012 - 11:49am

Hi Marcus,

I checked that and changed the image quality from 10 to 12. I also increased the dpi from 70 to 300. Those changes increased the size from 3.4 to 11.4 (or so)mb.

Is 300 dpi adequate? Should it be more?

Jim

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 9, 2012 - 12:13pm

Jim,

If you use an export preset that sets the size to “Original Size” such as the default JPEG - Original Size preset, the DPI setting actually does nothing to the size of the file. I don’t know why they even have that setting available in that case. The DPI setting only makes sense when you set the Size To: setting to a dimensional size such as inches or cm.

The pixel dimensions of the resulting file, the content of the image, and the Image Quality are the only things that affect the size of the JPEG output.

If you want to prove/disprove it, export an image with the setting at 300dpi and then export the same image again changing nothing else but the dpi to 75dpi. See if the file size changes.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?