You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Expand multiple folders in library view? #1
Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
May 23, 2011 - 7:17pm

Hello people :)

I'm putting my projects in year folders in my Library, and they're usually closed, so they'll look like this:

etc.

So when I search in the upper-left corner of Aperture for a project/folder name, a few year-folders might appear because they contain the project that contains my search words.

Now my question is, is there a shortcut to expand (open) all the year folders at once rather than clicking on the “+” icon next to each one? I tried selecting them all and different combinations of shift/cmd + arrow up/down etc., but to no avail.

Thanks in advance!

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
May 23, 2011 - 7:22pm

This might be of some help to yourself, a pdf from apple with aperture keyboard shortcuts:

link

I am not near aperture at this moment in time to check. If there is nothing there inthe pdf then look at the last page about customizing a keyboard shortcut which might do what you are looking for.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 23, 2011 - 10:47pm

Klaus,

Option-click on the triangle next to a folder or Project and everything inside will expand or collapse.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
May 23, 2011 - 10:57pm

Oh, yeah, it’s a tringle and not a “+” icon, my bad :)

Joseph, your trick does work for what I also need, but it wasn’t what I *really* needed it :)

If I search for a project and Aperture just displays my country folders like this:

because all of them might contain my search word, then I’d have to go into each year to look, but I was looking for a shortcut or a way to open all the country folders at once instead of clicking / option-clicking on each of the triangles next to the year?

(hope it makes sense)

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 23, 2011 - 11:06pm

Klaus,

Option-click on the “Projects & Albums” container [screenshot].

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
May 23, 2011 - 11:09pm

That’s the trick!! Thanks :)

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 25, 2011 - 6:12pm

Klaus,

You’re right… how annoying!

I still keep all my years into two sub-folders; personal and pro work. So it’s not as bad for me as it is for you, but yeah, that sucks. I’ll have to ask about it…

@PhotoJoseph

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 25, 2011 - 6:29pm

Klaus,

I take it back… it’s the new OS way; go to the right of it, and it says “Hide” or “Show” now [screenshot]. Option-clicking still gives you the same results!

@PhotoJoseph

Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
December 27, 2011 - 11:38pm

You are absolutely right - it still works, just have to click in a different place. Thanks again Joseph :)

Klaus T's picture
by Klaus T
December 23, 2011 - 12:43am

Joseph,

Have you noticed that the arrow next to “Projects & Albums” seems to have gone missing? Did Apple remove it sometime, for some reason? At least I can’t get your trick to work anymore, so now that I do a search for something, I have to manually expand all my year-folders :(

Screenshot of missing arrow

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?