You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Esoteric back-up question? #1
Gary with a big Mac's picture
by Gary with a big Mac
December 4, 2013 - 12:45am

Hi Guys,

Like most, when you take a huge amount of images, after a while, the files are just too numerous to maintain on the SSD on the computer as managed files and disk space becomes a priority

I have read that referenced files are not backed up? I have all the previews on my system, I have 2 vaults, although the referenced files only have the previews on the iMac, surely the fact that each referenced file is in each vault, it would be backed up?

I have a photographic memory but never got it developed

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
December 4, 2013 - 11:42pm

Need more details. Is your vault on your internal HD/SSD or no external? What backup tool are you referencing? TimeMachine does not back up external disks.

by Gary with a big Mac
December 5, 2013 - 12:01am

Hi Walter

Both my vaults are external drives and time machine backs up to them

On import, I select one of the drives in aperture for back-up and after import I drag those files into a second drive, I have set up a folder in each drive just for imports for the current year, I have called one, “Images_2013_1” and in the second drive, “Images _2013_2”,  so I select Images_2013_1 for backup on import and just drag them into the second one after import, bit “agricultural’ I guess but thought it would be a good system

I must admit, if Im just running a few test images, I don’t bother backing up on import, perhaps I should

Russell's picture
by Russell
December 13, 2013 - 2:50pm

The _previews_ of the referenced files are backed up in vaults but the files that are referenced are not. Managed files *are* backed up in vaults (obviously).

On the other hand, unless you explicitly exclude the folder(s) containing your referenced files from being backed up by Time Machine, they will be backed up whether they’re on an internal or external HDD.

Time Machine assumes that you want to back up *everything* so you tell it what’s excluded rather than included (in System Preferences).

Best practice is to back up the vault rather than the actual library in case the database is corrupted when you have an Aperture library open when Time Machine decides to do its thang.

Russell

by Gary with a big Mac
December 14, 2013 - 8:02am

Thank you Russell,

I guess the fact that I have at least 2 vaults, I’m sort of backing up the vaults?

unless both go at once?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?