You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does anyone know which file/path the album folder titles are stored? #1
JH's picture
by JH
October 16, 2014 - 7:58pm

I have 2x internal HDD’s one running Snow and one running Lion. Snow has the 3.2 Aperture and Lion has the 3.4 and I’ve been taking my time migrating from Snow to Lion for months and one of the last things I had to move was the 12 Gb Aperture library. I copied it across to Lion, double clicked it and it asked if I wanted to upgrade it and I said yes and everything reappeared in the newer 3.4 Aperture.

I still had other things to do in Snow, I’d proved it was a simple process but I didn’t want the duplicated library on the desktop so dragged it to the trash and deleted it …. When I switched back to Snow I found the newer Aperture had for some reason upgraded the original library so it wasn’t compatible with Snow … AND deleted all the images!

OK, so now I’m worried … I can’t go back to Lion because anything I do could overwrite the images I’d just trashed and the old Aperture didn’t have a library!

It took a while but I used data recovery tools, got back 100% of the CR2 images that I’d trashed from Lion, but I don’t have any of the Album titles, just folders of images - I know somewhere this info must be stored and I’ve manually gone through a LOT of plists and xml files associated with Aperture and I can’t see them … It’s important because all my folders were named dates/places and without that info I can’t easily reconstruct the library.

With the album folder titles, I can manually rename all the folders and reimport them into the Lion Aperture and it’s all smiles.

So I suppose the question is: Does anyone know which file/path the album folder titles are stored?

JH's picture
by JH
October 18, 2014 - 1:37pm

Sorry no one has an answer to my question.

I’d have preferred to rebuild the library by copy and pasting before importing the image folders, but I’m half way through renaming them by their contents and adding the dates from the EXIF metadata after I import them.

Try remembering where you were 5 years ago and you’ll understand why I wanted the location of the file storing the folder titles!

JH's picture
by JH
October 19, 2014 - 5:11pm

In case this question comes up again, the file that stores all the project folder titles is called ApertureData.xml

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness