You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Disappointment with new lens - almost! #1
Zack Thomas's picture
by Zack Thomas
March 20, 2012 - 3:11pm

I was on the verge of posting a question on my favourite photography forum (Dyxum) about a new lens I have which is renowned for its sharpness (for completeness the Minolta 200 2.8 G HS) that I had just started editing photos from, but was disappointed by it only being sharp in the very centre. I thought I would post the real reason for the problem here.

I had created an adjustment preset previously with just some basic definition, saturation, vibrancy and sharpening, and applied this preset to the photos in question.
What I discovered was that I had created this preset whilst using my previous 6mp camera (Konica Minolta 5D) and was now applying it for almost the first time (fortunately) to photos taken with my new 24mp camera (Sony a900). Because these adjustments had been set to be brushed in to the entire photo they were actually just being brushed into the rectangle in the 6mp centre of these newer 24mp photos, so it appeared that only the middle of the photos was sharp.

So a word of warning to those upgrading to higher megapixel cameras: check your presets!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 21, 2012 - 12:02am

Zack,

That’s precisely the challenge with many of my presets; they are mostly designed for 21MP cameras or lower, and if you apply them to a higher rez file, then you will see what you’ve just encountered.

Most people don’t save presets with brushed in conditions however, since those are usually photo specific. My “brushes” are actually texture masks though so are a bit different.

Good job finding the problem, and I hope you enjoy your new lens!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
March 23, 2012 - 5:46am

I’ve used Aperture since it was first released and never saved a preset yet!

Interesting how we all use the same thing in such different ways.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?