You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Determining focus points? #1
ken henke's picture
by ken henke
September 11, 2012 - 11:22am

One option is Aperture is viewing the focus points in an image. Not using it very much, I may not totally understand it. When activated is shows all 39 potential points. On some images one of the focus boxes turns from gray to red, which as I recalled is where my primary point of focus was. However, on other images no box turns red. In fact, I know I had moved my point of focus from the foreground to background, but the 39 points are in the center of the image. Any explanation would be appreciated.
Ken

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
September 11, 2012 - 1:57pm

In the image with no Red focus points in focus was there a sharp part of the image. I suspect the camera took the image even if it couldnt total focus properly. I think my camera is set to not take the shot unless it can focus.
Sincerely or nearly,
Blind Photographer

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 13, 2012 - 9:44am

Correct, that red box indicates what the camera focused on. This can be helpful to see if your camera is focusing correctly, but I don’t see much other benefit to the feature. Maybe I’m missing something, but I’ve never found a real use for it.

If you consistently see a red square where it should be in focus, but the image is NOT in focus there, then that’s an indication of a problem with the camera or lens.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

ken henke's picture
by ken henke
September 14, 2012 - 9:01am

Where the focus comes into usefullness is when one creates blended focal images. Just makes it easier to pick out images knowing where the primary focus was. Thus, I am concerned no red box showed up when indeed there was a focus point.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 14, 2012 - 9:03am

Ken,

Were you focusing manually? I know you said you changed the focus point, but did you then autofocus on that point? Is there a chance focus changed before the photos was made? Either because the subject moved, or because the lens was manually refocused?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?