You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Deleting individual photos among many in Split View #1
Frederick Foote's picture
by Frederick Foote
November 27, 2012 - 11:23am

I like to put several photos up on the screen, side-by-side, for comparing. (I think the view is called Split View with the whole “roll” at the bottom and my selected photos at the top of the screen.)

Here's the problem: I can't then delete individual photos one at a time because they are all selected (in order to get them to appear side-by-side at the top of the screen in the first place) and they, thus, all get deleted as a group.

Can anyone help me solve this problem? With four or five photos in the top half of the Split View, I want to delete just one at a time while narrowing photos down to the best ones. Help!!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 29, 2012 - 11:04am

Frederick,

Mark them individually as rejects, or flag them, then select those later to delete. You’re right, if you delete while multiples are selected, then they will all be deleted.

Be sure that primary only is enabled when individually rating an image in a multiple selection: [screenshot]

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Frederick Foote's picture
by Frederick Foote
December 31, 2012 - 5:38am

Thanks, Joseph!

I was looking for the best way to select my favorite photo from among a group of competing (similar) photos. What I really wanted was a way for the rejects to be bumped off the screen, not just ranked as a reject for later deletion because the ranking kept the photo on the screen even though it would disappear (using a default filter that kept only unrated or rated/better photos visible). Your idea of being able to make this ranking on only the SELECTED photo was helpful, by the way, except (as noted above) it did keep the rejected photo on the screen.

The good news is that I did find a very good solution:

By using the “Compare” feature, I was able to make one photo the “pick of the litter” while moving/arrowing to other candidates. Then, with the crtl+9 keystroke combo, I could reject a contender and instantly have Aperture remove the weaker photo and offer a new contending photo. This works swell even though it is limited to comparing only two photos at a time. If the contending photo is better than the current pick of the litter, I just hit the RETURN key and it switches so that the better photo is the new pick.

This works really well and solved my problem – or served my purposes, anyway.

Thanks for this great forum.

You might consider including this technique in one of your video trainings. It’s really cool and I think a lot of Aperture users would benefit.

You rock, Joseph!! Happy new year.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness