You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dedicated caption for a Project #1
pillarboxcottage's picture
by pillarboxcottage
April 30, 2014 - 9:34am

Can someone please tell me if it’s possible to create a general caption for an entire Project so that separate captions can be written for each individual photo? At the moment, when I click on a Project the Info pane is greyed out so that it isn’t possible to add a general project caption. Is there a way of changing this? I’d be grateful for any help I can get on this. Thank you.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
April 30, 2014 - 5:05pm

It’s just a simple Lift & Stamp Metadata procedure …

Open the project, select one of the images. Enter your generic caption that applies to all the images. Right-click/Option-Click on the image and choose “Lift metadata” … this will open a dialog showing all the metadata for that image. This will open the Lift & Stamp metadata dialog.

Be sure to uncheck any metadata you do not wish to apply to all your images like star ratings, flags, color labels, etc. …. and be sure to select “Add” in the lower left corner of the dialog … so you don’t accidentally replace or overwrite important data that applies to individual photos.

Once you are sure you have the proper selections made in the dialog … either in grid view or in the film strip, select all the images you want to apply the caption to. sounds like Select all would suffice in this case … once the images are selected, click the “Stamp Selected Images” buttons in the Lift & Stamp dialog … then your generic caption should appear in each of the images selected.

You can save some time and effort by adding this caption to your images on import by typing it in to your Metadata Preset before you import … though Lift & Stamp Metadata works well on a one image as well as thousands of images.

by pillarboxcottage
April 30, 2014 - 5:12pm

Butch, thank you so much for your very detailed reply. I do appreciate your help. Unfortunately, though, I didn’t explain my problem very well. I do understand the “Lift and Stamp” Metadata procedure. What I want to do, though, is to be able to write separate captions for each photograph in a Project, but give the Project an overall caption which I don’t want repeated on every photograph. For example, the Project caption could read “We went out on a glorious sunny day to X so I could practise using my new tripod.” Then each individual photo could have its own separate caption, with the Project caption being understood but not entered on each photo.

Is it possible to do that? I thought I used to be able to do it in iPhoto but maybe I’m mistaken. I haven’t used iPhoto now for some time.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
April 30, 2014 - 6:10pm

OK … simple solution.

Right-Click or Option-Click on the project icon in the Library panel. Select “Show Project Info”  (Or type the keyboard shortcut Shift+I) …  This will open the Info Dialog … then type in your info where you see the text “enter description” …

by pillarboxcottage
April 30, 2014 - 6:16pm

Yes! That’s it! Thank you SO much. I really appreciate your help.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
April 30, 2014 - 6:21pm

No problem … I’m living proof that even a blind squirrel can find an acorn now and then … ;-)

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness