You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Curves or crop first? #1
Lucia Broekhuizen's picture
by Lucia Broekhuizen
February 2, 2011 - 12:44pm

I have had a quick scan through the topics here and don't think I see an answer to my quest for advice. (Secondary question: is there are search tool for the forum, not the whole website)

A few of the places I have done some reading all seem to follow the workflow of adjusting white balance first, then highlight etc & then curves with cropping somewhere down the line.

My question is, why do we not crop before adjusting curves if we know we need to crop certain aspects out of the picture? Would this not make it easier to focus how your curves will affect your photo without taking the areas to be cropped out into account?

Sorry of this is a newbie question .. I'm a kind of “procedures” gal & need to know why things are done in certain ways.

Cheers
~Lucia

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 2, 2011 - 1:00pm

Lucia,

Welcome to the site!

For your first… erm, secondary… question, if you search using the search field in the top left corner, it searches the whole site. If you go to the More menu, the Search in there allows you to narrow it down.

The “rules” you’re going by assume a destructive workflow. The beauty of Aperture is that it’s non-destructive, as long as you stay in Aperture’s world (meaning not using plug-ins). It doesn’t matter what order you do things in; the image will always be rendered in the optimum order for the best image quality possible.

So you can crop whenever you like. In which case, yes, do that first, since that may affect how you change the rest of the image.

If you open the image in an external editor, or a plug-in, then all of your effects applied in Aperture are rendered into a PSD or TIF file (depending on what you have set in the Preferences [screenshot]) before being sent off. It still doesn’t matter what order you did them in in Aperture though.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?