You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cropping Square #1
Jerry Petrocco's picture
by Jerry Petrocco
October 18, 2011 - 12:30am

When I open the crop tool my photo automaticly is reduced to a squar photo. Why and how can I correct this?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 18, 2011 - 9:57am

Jerry,

Are you saying that as soon as you select the crop tool, the image is getting cropped square automatically? Or just that the crop tool is set to square by default?

You can change the aspect ratio of the crop tool from the HUD (Head’s Up Display) that appears when you select the Crop tool [screenshot].

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Jerry Petrocco's picture
by Jerry Petrocco
October 19, 2011 - 9:59am

Thank You Joseph for your response.

Yes, when I open the crop tool the top of the photo is cut off and the remaining botton of the photo is a square. The Aspect Ratio on the crop tool is set for Master Aspect Ratio and the With of 2 and the Hight of 3. I have been using Apeture for the last 5 years and never had this problem. I have tried every thing I know about Apeture but have been unable to resolve this problem.

I did not have this problem before the resent upgrade of Apeture. Could this be my problem?

Jerry October 17, 2011

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 19, 2011 - 10:47am

Jerry,

This is turning up to be one of two major bugs with the crop tool in Aperture 3.2. I can’t reproduce what you’re seeing, but you’re definitely not alone.

Try trashing the preferences in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.aperture.plist and see if that helps. Keep in mind this will reset all your preferences, which includes which Library you’re using, so if your library isn’t stored in the default ~/Pictures location, you may open to an empty Library. Don’t panic, just go to the menu File > Switch to Library > Other/New… and locate your working Library there. Also go through all the preference settings to see what you may need to reset.

Of course if you test this and it doesn’t fix the problem, you can put the old preferences file back and avoid resetting everything.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness