You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
creating a new vault #1
mike garthwaite's picture
by mike garthwaite
January 18, 2011 - 6:39am

Why am I getting this what is the best way to move a bunch of photos to free up disc space? I have a 250 gig western digital drive I want to use

“The new vault could not be created because the file system of the destination volume is unsupported.”

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 18, 2011 - 7:02am

Mike,

That means the WD drive you’re trying to make the Vault on isn’t formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). You’ll need to get your data off and reformat as a proper Mac volume to use it for the Aperture Vault.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Edward Yardumian's picture
by Edward Yardumian
March 4, 2012 - 12:33pm

I am trying to create a vault on a portable SSD drive I use with my Mac and my Windows laptops. Is there no alternative to avoid reformatting the SSD drive as Mac OS Extended?

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
March 4, 2012 - 6:02pm

The only other way I can figure it out is to partition the drive. The limitation is on the file size of FAT, No single file can be above 3.96gb (if memory serves me right).

Windows & OS X can both read FAT and OS X can even read NTFS (it just can not write to NTFS) unless you buy a third party plugin of OS X. However with it not being part of the built in core OS code I do not know what effects it may have.

Think about how much space you need for OS X (extended) and how much you want for windows, then partition the drive accordingly.

I have a 500gb external drive 300gb is formatted for Mac OSX extended and the rest is formatted for FAT 32. I know I will not be putting any file bigger than 3.96gb on the fat so I did not bother formatting it NTFS.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?