You are here

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Corrupting Masters on Export Originals Ver. 3.4.3 OSX 10.8.3 #1
Rob Paetz's picture
by Rob Paetz
March 20, 2013 - 2:46pm

My normal Aperture workflow is to import everything from a shoot into my Aperture library (stored within the library), cull down to the selects, then export those selects as “Originals” to store the RAWS elsewhere as a backup before I continue with editing.

On two seperate projects today, when I went to export the originals, it began the export process then an error message popped up saying no files have been exported. Now, when I go back into the library, all the files I attempted to export have been corrupted and are missing.

I have closed aperture and checked “Show Package Contents” and the .CR2 files I attempted to export are missing, but all the images I did not select from the shoot are still present. Somehow it seems to be deleting or moving my masters so they cannot be found.

Also, I have already tried to “Repair Permissions”, “Repair Database” and “Rebuild Database”

I still have these images backed up on the CF cards, but am exceptionally frustrated to keep losing work.

Has anyone else experinced this? Anyone know a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
March 26, 2013 - 3:05am

I experienced this problem just today and have opened a bug report with Apple. I had a movie file from a Nikon D800 (.MOV) that was imported into Aperture 3.4.3. I tried to export the original movie file. I got the same error you mention. Aperture then showed an icon that indicates a missing original. I opened a Terminal window and used the ‘find’ command to look for all .MOV files. There was a Preview version in the Preview area in the Aperture Library container. I tried to play that file and it only played a black screen. There was NO original MASTER. LOST. GONE! I have no backup on SD card because I did not expect Aperture to LOSE it.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
March 28, 2013 - 5:01am

Apple responded that they were not able to reproduce the problem. If someone has a solid, reproducible scenario that I can also reproduce, I will document it and add it to the case info with Apple.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
March 30, 2013 - 3:35am

I reproduced this problem exactly once today. I carefully documented it for Apple and have provided the information to them through the case in their bug tracker system. The scenario that failed for me and caused an original to be lost was this:

Import raw file into Aperture, renaming a version (not renaming the original).
Export Original > As Version with IPTC Included.

Sure enough it failed. Sure enough it lost the original in the Aperture managed library.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
March 30, 2013 - 4:38am

Import raw file into Aperture, renaming a version (not renaming the original).
Export Original > As Version with IPTC Included.

I tried this and the original raw file exported with the Version Name. I didnt know before hand that I could do that by Export Original > with Version Name and with IPTC Included. I did re-name the originals VERSION Name but not the File name. When exported the file the version name was the exported Raw name. Is that what you want to know?

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
March 30, 2013 - 10:16am

No, I’m trying to narrow under what circumstances Aperture loses original files.

Christophe Ameline's picture
by Christophe Ameline
April 1, 2013 - 4:31pm

I’ve had exactly the same issue yesterday: I exported a 105MB .MOV video to the desktop and got the same error message and corrupted master in Aperture. I tried everything to recover the file, including data recovery software, but without any success so far.

Later I did a test with another video and it worked fine.

This morning, it happened again! I made a copy from the original first to have a backup, then I exported the 346MB .MOV video, I got the error message and now both copies are corrupted!

I am also running OS X 10.8.3 and Aperture 3.4.3. My library is 240GB large.

by Christophe Ameline
April 1, 2013 - 4:37pm

Forgot to mention I had also included IPTC information. It seems Aperture doesn’t like exporting videos with IPTC

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
April 2, 2013 - 12:33am

I have an open bug report with Apple regarding Aperture 3.4.3 losing originals after trying to export them. The scenario is that you select an image in your Aperture Library, try to Export Originals, and you get an error. If you get this error, you immediately find that the “original” is now missing from your Aperture Library.

For each person who has experienced this issue of Aperture losing an original on export, please open a bug report with Apple and reference case #13497037 in your report. Tell Apple that you too are experiencing this issue. The more people who report this issue, the more likely Apple will apply resources to the problem and get us a fix.

by Christophe Ameline
April 3, 2013 - 11:10pm

I have just opened a bug report. Here is the content for information:

Hi,

I would like to report a bug with Aperture 3.4.3. It is the same issue as reported by another user under reference case #13497037.

On 31/03/13, I exported a video out of Aperture. The file was originally created by an iPhone5 in full HD. Its name was IMG_159.MOV and it was 105MB large. I selected the file in Aperture and exported the original to a folder on the desktop based on the project name and version name. Aperture started the export process, but after a short while I got an error message saying that the export had failed. Immediately after the message, a yellow triangle appeared on the video and it will not play anymore.

Upon exploration of the library package, I can find the thumbnail, but the master has gone. I tried the 3 different option to fix the library without success. I tried the different options to reconsolidate masters, but Aperture just says no masters can be located. I then scanned my entire disk with a data recovery software (Wondershare Photo Recovery 3.0), but it did not find any deleted or active master file (it did correctly find the thumbnail in the library).

That video file was not backed-up yet so for the moment I have completely lost it, which is a problem as this was an important video.

Later on the same day I did 2-3 other exports in the same conditions and they worked fine.

Then, on 01/04/13, I exported another video also made from an iPhone5 in full HD called IMG_154.MOV that was 346MB large and that also included my preset IPTC metadata. The process failed exactly as described earlier and now that file is corrupted too and the master has disappeared.

I then tried to export another few videos in the same way and the problem has not occurred again yet.

I did not notice the size of my library going down and another complete computer scan with my data recovery software did not reveal any deleted files, so I do believe that the masters of my 2 corrupted videos are still hidden somewhere inside the library.

Can you please assist with the recovery of these masters. I have spent some time on the Internet and I have personally come across a few users who seem to have experiences exactly the same issue, so this is not an isolate problem. However, so far it has only happened randomly on my machine.

Thanks

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
June 6, 2013 - 3:05am

I received official notice that Apple is able to reproduce this issue. I have no information as to when a future update might address it, but Apple is able to reproduce it and will be providing a fix.

Yin's picture
by Yin
May 24, 2013 - 4:06pm

I am experiencing the same problem. This is ridiculous! I have spent weeks working on a Photoshop-intensive project and after applying the final finishing touches, all that was left to do was export the TIFFs for the client. After clicking “Export Originals”, an error appears saying that no files have been exported. Now, when I go back into my library, all the files I had attempted to export are now corrupted and missing.

All the files I worked on for hours on end are gone; complete and utterly gone! They are not in the trash, nor anywhere on my hard drives. I am currently rebuilding my Aperture library as I type, as well as running Disk Drill to see if the files can be found. I am praying they will turn something up, but judging from the other responses in this thread I am not hopeful.

I just cannot believe such a game-ending bug can exist in Aperture 3. If Aperture 3 was a new product I could understand, but over 3 years into release is outrageous. Has anyone had any luck in recovering their deleted originals? Has anyone heard anything back from Apple?

Seems like I won’t be sleeping tonight.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
May 25, 2013 - 12:33am

Yin,

As we covered in the emails you and I exchanged, this is quite distressful. I would encourage you to export versions and not originals. That seems to never have a problem. The added benefit is that a version can also incorporate your contact info, IPTC fields, keywords, ratings, labels, etc.

I encourage you to also go into Aperture, go under the Aperture menu, and send Apple some feedback. Make sure you reference case #13497037 in your feedback report and indicate you are experiencing the same issue. Apple needs to know the extent to which this is affecting users. The more users they realize are losing their valuable images, the higher priority Apple will place on finding and fixing the issue. This is a really serious bug and we all need to be telling Apple when we experience it.

Walter

mikesteelman's picture
by mikesteelman
May 23, 2014 - 12:39am

Had the same thing happen to me yesterday with version 3.4.5 and now can’t find masters anywhere. Where did this leave off? Any help out there???

mike

Devastated's picture
by Devastated
May 23, 2014 - 9:13am

I get to join this lovely club now too!  I imported some pictures and videos from my camera today.  The videos were not playing well in Aperture so I decided to export one of them.  I exported the file as original and then Aperture simply lost the file.  Now, I only have a preview image of the video with a tiny arrow and a yellow triangle exclamation mark icon in the corner of the image preview.  Yeah, and since the file was imported to Aperture, I opted to delete files from the SD card.  Aperture is version 3.4.5.

I am beyond words to describe my level of frustration with this product.  I also put in a support ticket with Apple referencing case 13497037.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?