You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Convert Master File Format v1.0 - a wee bug? #1
Steve Jackson's picture
by Steve Jackson
January 27, 2012 - 7:59pm

Gents

This may be the most minor of bugs, but I notice that when this script is used on an image that uses a hierarchical keyword, the keyword in the new image (with the alternative format) has been moved to the root of the keywords list.

Eg. Photo uses keyword “Arts”, from “Photojournalism/ Arts”.
“Arts” does not exist in the root of the keywords list.
Following the format conversion, “Arts” can now be found in both the root of the Keyword hierarchy, and in its original location.
A smart album that had been set to search for “Photojournalism/ Arts” will now not include the converted image, as it's keyword is actually different.

There's a simple fix; I drag and drop “Arts” (in this example) back to it's hierarchy position, and it merges the two keywords.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Cheers

Steve

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 27, 2012 - 11:50pm

Steve,

That’s actually not a script bug, but a fact of life in Aperture. Hierarchical keywords are an Aperture-only feature, so whenever you import photos, keywords come in flat. You can always move them around again as you have, but depending on what you’re doing with keywords, it may ultimately become more hassle than it’s worth.

I believe I discussed this in the Keywords Live Training video (not 100% sure but I think I did) and it’s for this reason that I’ve stopped storing keywords hierarchically. I haven’t totally flattened mine yet, but then again I rarely use keywords anyway anymore.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Steve Jackson's picture
by Steve Jackson
January 28, 2012 - 10:13pm

Great explanation as usual thanks Joseph.

I too rarely use keywords. In this instance, I’m using to help organise a large number of images from an annual event, with the Keywords enabling the use of Smart Albums.

The event itself is the parent of the keyword hierarchy, and the members of that hierarchy are the diff. parts of the event. But - and I think I did get this from your Keyword Training - all of the members of the Keyword Hierarchy are named ‘Event-Part1’, ‘Event-Part2’ to guard against that flattening.

Using the script is the first time I’ve encountered any issues with this approach … and as I said in the post, certainly no biggie.

Cheers

Steve

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?