You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Confused re librarys - need help please #1
mike aiton's picture
by mike aiton
March 24, 2014 - 5:29pm

HI 

I started using aperture with my iPhoto library whilst I was learning it. I have quite a number of different projects inside my iPhoto library whilst experimenting and learning the software.

I use a referenced library that sits on my hard drive the way I like it organised. (Year month title) and backed up to another drive or two.

Now I am a bit more confident, I am using a proper Aperture master library, with a project per folder (“2014 03 mar Tim’s Wedding” etc).

My question is how do I get all my work from my iPhoto library into the new Aperture library. To re-process would takes forever. Can I have two macs on my network with Aperture on each, screenshare the two macs (one with the iPhoto library and one with the new Aperture library) and lift and stamp the settings across a screen share from iPhoto lib to Aperture lib?

Any help would be very gratefully received

cheers

Mike

cheers

Mike Aiton

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
March 25, 2014 - 6:07am

Assuming you have the latest versions of Aperture and iPhoto, the libraries are openable in either app. You can open your iPhoto library with Aperture and most of the edits will still be there. In my experience, edits made in a later version of iPhoto can be re-edited in Aperture. If you have edits made in a really early version of iPhoto the edits get baked in because that is how iPhoto used to work. You can make new edits but you can’t change previous ones.

Some iPhoto features aren’t available in Aperture. Mainly calendars and cards but there might be others. I think book projects might also be different but I haven’t really checked into that. I’ve been using Aperture exclusively for several years.

You can continue to edit your iPhoto library using Aperture as a separate library but you’d need to switch back and forth between the different libraries. One option is to import your iPhoto library into your existing Aperture library. That will duplicate everything that was in the iPhoto library. Both libraries will now be combined in one larger library. Once you’ve verified everything is working and you’ve backed up the new larger library, you can delete or archive your old iPhoto library if you want. Or just keep it around as a backup.

Thomas

mike aiton's picture
by mike aiton
March 25, 2014 - 11:35am

thank you for your reply

is it possible to add selective projects from the iPhoto lib when importing into main library?

cheers

Mike Aiton

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
March 25, 2014 - 12:06pm

The only way to get selective subsets from one library to another is to “export” a specific project from one Library into a new temporary Library, then open the target Library and import the temporary Library containing that subset you wanted to move.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness