You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Color Profiles & Mitsubishi CP3800DW #1
Tim Ayling's picture
by Tim Ayling
November 2, 2012 - 5:15am

I am an event photographer and have been using Aperture for several years with Mitsubishi CP3800DW and CP9550DW printers.
I have profiles made for each of the printers. Everything worked brilliantly unto and including Leopard 10.5. I did not upgrade to 10.6, but had to go to 10.7 when I got 2 MacMinis.
The profiles I had for the printers were useless and so had new profiles made. It made no difference at all. It does not matter if I have the profile set in the print dialog box in Aperture or set through Colorsync direct to the printer it make no difference the colour is awful. The colours are all too heavy, skin tones make people look as it they have jaundice with a sun tan.
I have spoken to Mitsubishi who say it is not a problem with the print drivers because the program dictates the colour and Apple Tech Support say it is Mitsubishi because they have not upgraded their drivers.
I am caught in the middle.
Can anyone help with this problem.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 3, 2012 - 3:02am

Tim,

There are a few readers here who know printing, so maybe they will chime in and have some ideas — I’m not one of them I’m sorry to say.

Have you looked for a ColorSync forum? Maybe that’d be the place to get some ColorSync specific help; either on apple’s own support site or elsewhere, like this site.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Tim Ayling's picture
by Tim Ayling
November 5, 2012 - 12:26am

Hi Joseph,

I have solved the problem. I have installed Lightroom, on the same MacMini. The colour profiles work perfectly producing really good photos as I was told on more than one occasion at a Charity Ball I was working at last night.

I am very disappointed with Apple because their Tech guys just kept blaming the print drivers and would not even consider their might be a problem in Aperture.

The problem only started when Apple upgraded their OS and Aperture but they seems to have an attitude in Apple now that they can never be wrong or is it that Aperture is not a big enough revenue earner for them to bother with these sort of problems.

I am very disappointed having been an Apple user since 1994 and an Aperture supporter since it was first launched.

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
November 5, 2012 - 4:13am

Tim,

Adobe have their own colour management system, which is separate from the OS. This is good and bad … but mostly good, because it’s extremely important to Adobe and so they ensure that it is working correctly. A long time ago, when colour management started to exist in its modern form, Adobe were incredibly slow in producing a useable colour management system in PS. It took several versions to get something that worked. To their credit, Adobe have kept it working for about 10 years now. With hindsight it’s clear that they made the right choice.

Apple have built their colour management around the OS. Smart idea, because they only have to make it work once and it works everywhere. The problem is, that if it breaks somewhere, it probably breaks everywhere, or worse, in places that they aren’t even aware of.

For about the same 10 years Adobe have had rock solid colour management, Apple have had a slightly compromised colour management. It has worked flawlessly for many of those years across most of the OS, but, for example, something as stupid as OS thumbnails are not colour managed. WTF?!?

Aperture has colour issues. Apple have known about them for a long time. I really wish I was an Apple manager in their colour dept., because I would get the biggest stick I could find and beat the watsit out of those product managers until they finally concede to allocate the necessary resources required to finally fix the damned thing. Across the whole OS.

Honestly, it really makes you wonder just how much money Apple feel they need to have in the bank, before they will do something as evidently important to their clients/users, as to fix a fundamental flaw in the OS/Apps which makes their working day a PITA. You can work around it (and I do) but clearly for you with your Mitsubishi printer, there is no workaround because Apple need Mitsubishi to update their drivers to be compatible with the current OS, which Mitsubishi won’t do, whereas Adobe have their own proprietary system which is perfectly okay with what you feed it.

Its been years. Sigh.

Andrew Mumford's picture
by Andrew Mumford
November 6, 2012 - 3:37am

gfsymon,

Technically speaking though what is the issue ? I keep reading about it but have yet to see any tech explanation and my own simplistic epson single printer workflow with calibrated screen and “canned” or custom paper profiles via Color Munki does not trigger any problems ?

Any links / further info ?

Thx

---
Andrew Mumford

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness