You are here

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
color dropper always takes the red #1
Branko's picture
by Branko
August 17, 2012 - 7:29am

When taking a sample of color (hue), the dropper always choose the red, regardless of the color was chosen .
I tried to repair the database, permissions, rebuilding…
Nothing helps…
Any idea?

Branko's picture
by Branko
December 21, 2012 - 8:09am

Unfortunately Joseph bad news.
So I wanted to solve this problem, wiping out Preferences folder aperture. Plist, repairing the library, permits, everything…, Yesterday, even a reinstall OSX 10.8.2, and still has the problem. Terribly frustrating…
How can we send this to Apple?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 22, 2012 - 8:32am

Branko,

I wonder if there is something in the container folder that’s causing this to happen.

A short time ago I discovered a whole new Aperture preferences folder, at ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Aperture/ which I discussed in this post.

I have not tried this before so I’d advise being careful doing so (i.e. make sure everything is backed up first), but try removing both your normal preferences as you have in the past, and also the entire com.apple.Aperture folder found at ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Aperture/. Place that on the desktop so you can get into it later.

I seem to recall you are’t using many plugins but this will also reset your custom keyboard. If you look inside that folder you’ll find those presets that you may want to re-import.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Branko's picture
by Branko
August 22, 2012 - 3:52pm

Joseph
This really is something wrong. After a few days the same symptoms again.
I noticed that the aperture while no problem doing those quite quickly.
As soon as you slow down I check the color dropper, I know that in this problem.
Really strange…

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 22, 2012 - 9:46pm

Branko,

I’m not sure what you mean that Aperture has no problem moving quickly, but if you slow down the problem appears. Can you please elaborate?

Also try trashing the preferences again to see if the problem goes away again. If so, then there is something corrupting your preferences. Please list every plugin or app that you’re using with Aperture.

@PhotoJoseph

Branko's picture
by Branko
August 23, 2012 - 7:13pm

Hy Joseph, first I tried again to delete the file, and for a while it worked fine.
Today I noticed after switching library that the problem is back.
I reset the PRAM and SMC and works well for now.
We’ll see until… :)

Branko's picture
by Branko
August 23, 2012 - 8:09pm

and I thought it will last …:(

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 24, 2012 - 7:16am

Branko,

I’m sorry but helping you is getting quite frustrating. You repeatedly ignore many of the questions I ask and the advice that I give, clearly not carefully reading what I’m taking the time write.

In my last post, I asked:

“Also try trashing the preferences again to see if the problem goes away again. If so, then there is something corrupting your preferences. PLEASE LIST EVERY PLUGIN OR APP THAT YOU’RE USING WITH APERTURE.”

Without the information I’m requesting, I can’t possibly help you. What you’re experiencing is not normal, and so I need the information I ask for it there’s any hope of finding a solution.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Branko's picture
by Branko
August 24, 2012 - 3:09pm

You’re right. I apologize. My rashness was to blame.
I only have plugin TwitExport since a few days, and the problem has appeared for a longer time.
Also I use Pixelmator for external editor, but I do not believe that it had a problem because after throwing plist. I did not chose it in the preferences as the external editor
And yes. I emptied several times this file in preference folder com.apple.Aperture.plist
But still the problem returned.
Even yesterday I made ​​the aperture first aid (all three, hold the option key when starting aperture)
and now behold, I check, and again the same issue

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 25, 2012 - 2:08am

Branko,

Thank you.

At this point we are trying to isolate where the issue is, and isn’t.

1. We know it isn’t just your library, because you already created a new library and the problem showed up there.
2. We know, or at least think, that it can be solved temporarily by removing the preferences, but that the problem comes back.
3. You tested already, on my request, making a new user account, and you said the problem went away. However since you’ve also gotten the problem to go away by trashing preferences, but then it returns, we don’t yet know if the new user account is a real solution or not.
4. It appears that there is not a filter or plugin interfering since you say you the only add-on you have is TwitExport.

So the next step is to go back to the new user account to test some more. I know this isn’t convenient, but it’s where we’re at now. You need to spend some time doing some work in the other user account. WIth fast user switching enabled, it’s only a few clicks to swap accounts, so just create a new account with a new library and import some photos there, and start working. See if the problem comes back or if it appears to be truly gone.

If the problem stays gone, then we know that the problem lies somewhere in your user folder.

If the problem comes back, then we know it’s something system-wide, or in Aperture itself.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 17, 2012 - 7:32am

Branko,

Color dropper where? What tool are you using, and to what effect?

@PhotoJoseph

Branko's picture
by Branko
August 17, 2012 - 7:56am

In inspector hub, in color tab. I take a dropper to the exact color sample ( hue) and always appears as if I clicked on the red, which is incorrect. It confuses me…

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 17, 2012 - 8:06am

Branko,

Do you mean the Color adjustment? [screenshot].

The way this works is you click on a color tab (red, hello, green, etc.) which is really just a placeholder, then click the eye dropper and click on the image. While hovering over the image you’ll see the loupe and the sample it’s going grab if you click, like this: [screenshot].

Is that not what you’re seeing? If not, is it at all possible for you to record a screen movie of what’s happening and to post that somewhere? I’d really like to see this.

@PhotoJoseph

Branko's picture
by Branko
August 17, 2012 - 8:30am

here is a sample picture, see below right, all colors are converted to red using dropper sample.
https://skitch.com/ibranko/eprdf/pixelmator

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 17, 2012 - 8:32am

Oh my. That’s… messed up!

This happens on all photos? Full screen or not full screen?

Have you tried trashing preferences? FAQ

@PhotoJoseph

Branko's picture
by Branko
August 17, 2012 - 8:50am

Yes, it happens on all photos, it doesent matter full screen or not. Gray hub, or black hub ( in full screen)
it would be clever to do a complete reinstall OSX or move the 10.8? I am now on 10.7.4 What do you think?

Branko's picture
by Branko
August 18, 2012 - 7:05am

I installed the program (first deleted, then back through the App Store took off, but the error is returned. Should I go to ML, or do a clean reinstallation of Lion?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 18, 2012 - 7:45am

Branko,

Sorry, missed your last reply yesterday.

You didn’t say if you’d trashed preferences? Try creating a new Library and testing there. Also check in a different user account (just create a new one, log in, make new library, test).

I don’t think reinstalling the OS is the solution. Let’s try easier things first.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Branko's picture
by Branko
August 18, 2012 - 8:30am

No problem Joseph :)
First. I create new library, import few picture, same problem.
Then I crate new acount, open aperture, import few images, and it works :) Thanks!
What should I do now?
I have complete backup via a time machine, and all my pictures are in one library managed.
I also have vault, but not the latest, my library is few hundret megabytes over capacity of hard drive , so I can’t do update Vault

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 18, 2012 - 8:32am

Branko,

That points to your preferences. So once again, have you trashed them?

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Branko's picture
by Branko
August 18, 2012 - 9:06am

No, I did not because I did not find that file. Here is screenshoot of preference folder
https://skitch.com/ibranko/epki6/finder

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 18, 2012 - 9:21am

Branko,

That screenshot appears to be from the system Preferences folder, not the User Preferences. Please read the instructions carefully in the FAQ as that explains exactly how to get there. That folder will likely have over 1,000 items in it, so you’re almost definitely in the wrong place.

@PhotoJoseph

Branko's picture
by Branko
August 18, 2012 - 3:34pm

Thanks Joseph, I made it.
I’m sorry that I did not carefully read the FAQ, I did not go through the GO menu, so I could not get to preferred folder.
Now I have new aperture :)
Tanks, again.
Branko

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 18, 2012 - 5:42pm

Super

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness