You are here

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cannot find the smart albums #1
Karen Niedermeyer's picture
by Karen Niedermeyer
November 9, 2012 - 5:16am

My Aperture does not look like the ones in the help manual - I can only see the headings on the side: Library, Recent, Projects, Albums (separated). I cannot see or find the Library smart albums that the manual says are already created in the Library. It says in the manual to click the disclosure triangle on Projects & Albums, but mine are separated and neither triangles disclose anything other than what I put in them. There is no “Library Albums” button either. I have read the manual but cannot get far as nothing seems the same and I cannot find stuff that is referred to……

Can someone help me? I recently bought Aperture online and it is not going well for me. Apart from the above problem, it keeps crashing :-( (the reason I bought it was because my iPhoto kept hanging)… I have read the

Bob Rockefeller's picture
by Bob Rockefeller
November 9, 2012 - 11:12pm

If you hover over the word Album in the Library Pane, does that disclose a “Show” button? Click on Show and see if it gives you the Album Smart Albums.

Bob

Bob
----------
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA
www.bobrockefeller.com

by Karen Niedermeyer
November 12, 2012 - 9:44am

no - it gives me hide or show but no smart albums appear.

Carl Brauer's picture
by Carl Brauer
November 13, 2012 - 2:16am

Karen,

In the Aperture 3.4.2 User Manual, it states:

Working with Library Albums
If you created a library in a previous version of Aperture, a selection of Smart Albums was set up in the Library inspector for you automatically. When you click the disclosure triangle beside Library Albums in the Library inspector, you see the following Smart Albums:
••
Five Stars: Select this Smart Album to see all photos in the library that are rated five stars.
••
One Star or Better: Select this Smart Album to see all photos that are rated one star or better.
••
Rejected: Select this Smart Album to see all photos that are rated Reject.
••
Videos: Select this Smart Album to see all video clips in the library.
••
In the Last Week: Select this Smart Album to see all photos taken in the last week.
••
In the Last Month: Select this Smart Album to see all photos taken in the last month.
Important: Library albums appear in the Library inspector only if your Aperture library was created in Aperture 3.2 or earlier.

My guess is that you did not have an earlier version of Aperture so you are not seeing any of the Library Smart Albums.

by Karen Niedermeyer
November 15, 2012 - 3:30am

I only just bought Aperture a few weeks ago so it is the latest version. However apart from not seeing these smart albums, the program is crashing all the time. Is it a coincidence? I bought it because my iPhoto was crashing, despite totally rebuilding my library. This is really a problem for me.

Carl Brauer's picture
by Carl Brauer
November 15, 2012 - 7:14am

Karen,

That explains why you do not see the Library Smart Albums. If you wish, you could create your own smart album or duplicate the earlier versions by creating one such as all 5 star photos or all rejected photos. Regarding the crashing issue, you do not say what version of OSX you are using or how much RAM you have. If both iPhoto and Aperture are crashing, I would look at how much RAM you have. Have you looked at the Activity Monitor when you are running Aperture? Does it crash immediately or after a certain amount of time? You may also want to contact Apple Suport.

by Karen Niedermeyer
November 17, 2012 - 6:18am

I really appreciate the replies. I am using Aperture 3.4.1 and have 4 GB of Ram. I am a bit frustrated as am on a trip of a lifetime - took a sabbatical and am travelling, so naturally lots of photos plus maintaining a blog for my family. I am about to give up on iPhoto (which I have used since it was first available) and Aperture… :-(

Andrew Mumford's picture
by Andrew Mumford
November 17, 2012 - 6:50am

For the crashing problems - despite all the “problem” post’s on the forum and not withstanding those people’s experiences I would say that it is not “normal” for iPhoto or Aperture to crash all the time.

If that is happening to you in both programs then I would suspect a problem with your OS - how up to date are you with software updates generally across your system, what version of OSX are you on ? - when was the last time you did a clean install ?, when was the last time you did a disk repair ?

I don’t think you should “give up” just because of the crashes - there can and have been problems but on a properly maintained and up to date system Aperture is no less stable for most people than any other program IMO.

Caveat - PLEASE MAKE A BACKUP of all your important photos’s especially since you are on your “trip of a lifetime”, (congrats), before you start doing any major OS upgrades / repair !!!

---
Andrew Mumford

by Karen Niedermeyer
November 17, 2012 - 10:35am

I have Version 10.7.5 How up to date is that? I have this very week totally reformatted the HD and re-installed the system (actually I didn’t - a technician did).
I have an external HD with all my pics and am sending a few disks back home everynow and then as an extra back up in case I get robbed.

Andrew Mumford's picture
by Andrew Mumford
November 17, 2012 - 11:33am

10.7.5 with all available updates ? meaning does running software update tell you there is nothing to download ?

Also the latest version of Aperture is 3.4.3 - does running App Store show you any available updates ?

Also you say all your pictures are on an external drive - does that mean all your files are “referenced ” or do you simply have all your files in an Aperture Library that lives on an external hard drive ?

You say that iPhoto was hanging on you all the time - did you start over in Aperture with a new fresh library or did you simply start using your existing iPhoto library using Aperture ?
If you did then I’m wondering whether you already had a problem with your iPhoto library that you simply migrated to Aperture ?
Bad data is bad data no matter which program is accessing it …

---
Andrew Mumford

by Karen Niedermeyer
November 17, 2012 - 12:56pm

Is it possible for actual photos to be bad data? It that is the case how the hell do I find it? I tell you what I did and hopefully give enough detail.
My iPhoto was playing up badly last year so the tech at school reloaded the programme. Of course I totally lost all my albums and general organisation. My own fault as I did not realise the albums would not be preserved.
I also got a new HD in my laptop - a bigger one.
Then when I started to bring all my photos back into iPhoto it began playing up after about 6 months.
I bought Aperture only recently. It was playing up too. I did not share the libraries - I simply imported the photos directly. They are not referenced.
I had my HD reformatted and the system reinstalled and started all over again. That was last week. It is in fact worse.
I’m jinxed….

by Karen Niedermeyer
November 17, 2012 - 1:05pm

Could videos be bad data? I have videos too as I use my camera for both so I always load up both.

Andrew Mumford's picture
by Andrew Mumford
November 17, 2012 - 5:16pm

You say you brought all your photo’s back into iPhoto - since iPhoto only store’s them internally then my question is where did you bring them in from ?

However first things first … you really need to make sure you have all the latest updates to both the OS and your programs.

First run disk utility to both verify your disk to make sure the format is good and also repair the permissions at least once.

Run Software Update & App Store Updates until you have all the latest patches and the latest version of Aperture

Then work through the FAQ entry linked from the NAV bar at the top of this page “Apple’s own basic troubleshooting steps”

Let’s see what happens after that …

---
Andrew Mumford

Carl Brauer's picture
by Carl Brauer
November 18, 2012 - 10:39am

I am leaning more and more to your issue being related to your hardware and Operating System and not really being an Aperture or iPhoto issue. I am sorry, but I do not understand what you mean by your iPhoto and your Aperture “playing up”. What model is your laptop? What other programs do you run on the laptop, and do those run without issue? I would definitely run Disk Utility and be sure all permissions are correct. You might also consider downloading a utility like Onyx (it is free) and running that. It might reveal an underlying issue as the root cause. I assume you are not anywhere near an Apple store where you could take your laptop and have someone at the Genius Bar diagnose your problem. Sorry you are having so many issues, but do not throw the baby out with the bath water. I migrated from iPhoto to Aperture almost a year ago, and have never had any issues. Maybe if Joseph happens to read this thread, he may have some insights.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness