You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Camera Advice #1
Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
September 20, 2012 - 7:03am

Hi Guys,

Need a helping hand here please. I am going to buy a new camera body very soon… probably next week.

I am struggling to choose between a Canon 7D and the Canon 5d mkII. I have been reading more and more about them online and every time i read a new article I keep on changing my mind between the 2.

I am mainly shooting portraits and the odd concert at the moment. I presently shoot with a canon 450D (Rebel XSI) and I think I have out grown it, I will keep this for backup purposes and the fact it was my 1st DSLR.

I keep on reading that the noise on the image on a 5D mkII is less than a 7D at higher iso. This very much appeals to me, however I feel that I am buying old Tech when the 7D is newer.

The video shooting aspect of it is not of concern to myself, it is just an added bonus that the camera can do it.

What are your thoughts? Should I go full frame or stick with a crop sensor?

I keep on changing my mind so rapidly.

Thoughts and opinions welcomed.

Cheers.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
September 20, 2012 - 7:12am

Internet went wonky. I did not submit multiple comments.

Thomas

by Thomas Emmerich
September 20, 2012 - 7:13am

But I did edit these extra ones…

Thomas

by Thomas Emmerich
September 20, 2012 - 7:14am

If you have EFs lenses, they won’t work with 5D mkII so making the switch would require additional investment.

If you were shooting sports, I would recommend 7D but since you didn’t mention that, I think 5D mkII would be better for you. But first take a look at the new 6D just announced. It’s an entry level full frame camera (so it also won’t work with EFs lenses). You can read about it on dpreview.com. It won’t be for sale until later this year and will be around $2100. You should wait until the 6D gets reviewed and see how it compares to 5D mkII.

Thomas

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
September 20, 2012 - 7:22am

I only have 1 EFs lens my other 2 are EF lenses, I tend to hire in the L lenses as and when I need them… not fortunate enough to own expensive glass.

At the moment, in my personal EF lens collection I own the 50mm f1.8 (going to upgrade this to the f1.4 soon) and the 28-135mm 3.5 - 5.6. I tend to hire in the 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?