You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
buying a new imac and aperture 3 #1
stump4545's picture
by stump4545
October 23, 2012 - 9:58am

i plan to buy a new imac when they are released.

is it as simple as restoring an aperture vault i create on an external hard drive?

and i am done?

sounds too easy.

thanks

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
October 24, 2012 - 3:17am

I purchased a new iMac about two months ago … All I did was use Migration Assistant to load all my apps, documents and supporting files from my cloned backup drive from the old unit … it can also be done with Time Machine … very easy and effortless …

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 24, 2012 - 12:33pm

Yep, don’t use Vault as a way to migrate (but do have one for backup). You can use Migration Assistant as Butch suggests, and/or just copy your Library to another drive then back to the new iMac.

Where are your Originals? Is your Library managed or referenced?

New iMac was announced today… guess you’ll be shopping soon!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

stump4545's picture
by stump4545
October 24, 2012 - 10:56pm

will be buying a new slim imac.

my libraries are managed so my gameplan was to create a vault on my external and then plug the external into my new imac and restore.

i didnt want to use migrate assistant since i had some weird os issues on my current imac and i wanted to start out fresh.

does this game plan work and make sense?

thank you

Mark Alderson's picture
by Mark Alderson
October 25, 2012 - 12:13am

Hey stump4545,

The easiest way to move your Aperture library is to just copy it off to another drive, and then when you get your new iMac and have Aperture loaded, just replace the library on your new iMac with your copied library. I just did that process when I did a clean install of Mountain Lion on my iMac, worked great, especially since you have managed library. The only thing that tripped me up was I forgot to save any Aperture preferences, which wasn’t much for me.

stump4545's picture
by stump4545
October 25, 2012 - 1:24am

Mark, how is what you suggest different then restoring from a vault?

did you just drag your managed library to an external and then drag it from the external to your new imac?

Mark Alderson's picture
by Mark Alderson
October 25, 2012 - 1:39am

Stump4545,

That’s exactly what I did. I had a time machine backup of my whole drive, a current updated vault, and a copy of my managed Aperture library (and a copy of my iPhoto library) all on my external 2TB drive. I tried to make sure I was covered. I have never did a restore for a vault, but from what I think I read is that is a slow process. (Joseph correct me if I’m wrong) My library is only about 200GB, so it didn’t take too long on FW800, USB 2 will be slower.

I asked some questions on this forum before I did all that, but worked out for me..

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 25, 2012 - 2:18am

Stump,

Yep there’s no benefit to creating a Vault then restoring from that — it’ll take much, much longer. Simply copy the file to an external drive, then back to the new iMac, and that’s all there is to it.

@PhotoJoseph

stump4545's picture
by stump4545
October 25, 2012 - 3:18am

just so i am sure, where do i find my aperture library managed library on my imac?

and then i just put it in the same spot on my new imac?

Mark Alderson's picture
by Mark Alderson
October 25, 2012 - 3:43am

Stump4545,

It is in your Pictures folder, you can find it by the icon that looks like a photo of a flower and named something with aperture in the title. I’m on my iPad right now, that’s why the cryptic message. When you get your new iMac and load Aperture, just go to the same spot and replace that file with the one you copied off.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 25, 2012 - 3:53am

Stump,

If you haven’t moved it, then it’s in the home /Pictures folder and will be called “Aperture Library”. You can also locate it by going into Aperture, opening the Preferences, and clicking “Reveal” in the General tab [screenshot].

You may also want to copy over your settings and preferences. Check out this FAQ entry for that: “Where does Aperture store it’s settings and preferences?”

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness