You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Boost and Hue Boost defaults #1
G Vivanco's picture
by G Vivanco
January 4, 2011 - 12:52pm

Question on Hue Boost and Boost defaults. Should the Hue Boost be at 0.50 and the Boost be at 1.00 by default. My are both set to 1.00. Also is it true that lower Hue Boost settings maintain more natural skin tones in portraits?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 6, 2011 - 12:43am

G Vivanco,

Happy New Year! The default settings can vary depending on the camera; as I look through my Library, I see the Sharpening and Noise default RAW Fine Tuning settings change dramatically. However, for ALL of my cameras, it appears that both Boost and Hue Boost are set to 1.00 as the default.

“Also is it true that lower Hue Boost settings maintain more natural skin tones in portraits?”

Not necessarily, no. It’s true that lower saturation (i.e. Hue Boost) will, in general, produce more “natural” looking photos, but… lower than what?

The default settings for the RAW Fine Tuning are developed using secret methods within Apple, and they are developed to produce the most pleasing image for the most common image types. That’s not to say that one-size-fits-all, which is precisely why you have access to these RAW Fine Tuning settings. If you prefer your images looking a bit different, than you can change them—and even save your own custom Fine Tuning.

When it comes to color rendition, there’s rarely a right or wrong. It’s all down to what you like.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

G Vivanco's picture
by G Vivanco
January 7, 2011 - 9:16am

Happy New Year!
Thanks Joseph. Once again a simple and direct answer.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness