You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Backing Up in Aperture #1
Kyle F's picture
by Kyle F
March 19, 2010 - 12:09pm

Hi All,

I am fairly new to Aperture, I have been using Light room for a number of years. Over the years however, I have found myself using more and more of the apple tech and just recently went full tilt on Final Cut Studio. So I have decided to switch to Aperture as well for the work flow integration.

I know that Aperture contains all the features I will need, so that isn’t an issue for me. The issue I am having is how to back up my files and all the data with them. Currently all my files are stored on my file server at home. I pretty much store everything there, not just my photos, but everything. I then use Mozy to back them up online.

However form some reading I have done I find the back up process for Aperture a little confusing.

With light room, I access my photos on the file server. I do not import the files into light room, I simply point to my files on the server. I run the backup built into light room once a day, and that backup is also stored on my file server. If I ever loose my computer, or something along those lines, all I have to do is reinstall light room, restore from my back up and all my imported information is there, meta data, keywords list, etc.

From all the reading I have done so far with Aperture it appears that this would not work with Aperture. It seems the best course of action would be to allow aperture to import all the files from my file server into it’s own DB, thus storing the “Originals” there. Although I know a copy would still remain on the file server, as far as aperture would be concerned, the master would be the locally imported file. I would then organize the photos into libraries. To backup my photos, I would then back up my “Vault”.

Does this sound correct to everyone? Is there a way i could create a setup like I have in light room? My biggest concern is that I would like to have all the keywords I assign to a photo available to me in the case of a system failure/restore situation.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 1, 2010 - 11:51am

Kyle,

I don’t know Lightroom, but it sounds like what Aperture does is the same as what LR does.

First off, when you import into Aperture, you have two choices—to work managed or referenced. Managed is what you’re referring to, where Aperture actually ingests the files into its own database. If you work referenced, then the masters files stay where you put them (on your file server). You don’t want to work managed ;-)

When you run File Vault in Aperture, it only backs up what’s in the library. If you’re running managed, then it backs up all the files as well as the metadata. If you’re running referenced (which is what you want to do), it’s going to backup just the metadata.

I’m assuming that you’re running a separate backup for your file server, so the files that live there are not a concern?

Let me know if that doesn’t make sense.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness