You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Applying Aperture 3 edits permanently #1
Bob Boyd's picture
by Bob Boyd
March 3, 2010 - 1:36am

I love all of Aperture’s new features in v.3… well, actually 3.01. : )

But with all of the new capabilities come a significant hit on exporting or emailing heavily edited shots.

Is there a way to create a new version that applies the edits permanently within Aperture? I’m looking for a kind of export-and-reimport-back-into-Aperture type thing.

Maybe it’s been there all along and I’m just overlooking it.

Thanks for your help.

Trevor Ager's picture
by Trevor Ager
March 4, 2010 - 11:37pm

Bob,
You can just export the version as a Tiff or Jpeg file and then import it back into your library.
Or, if you have Photoshop select ‘Edit with’ > Photoshop. That will open the file in Photoshop. Just save the file in Photoshop which will save it as a .psd file. The image will then show up in Aperture as a new (edited) version where it’s master will be the newly created .psd file.

Hope that heps,
Trevor.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 8, 2010 - 5:25am

Bob,

I think Trevor’s on the right track. But if you don’t have Photoshop (or even if you do), you can probably do the same thing with Preview. Just open and save (which will be faster than launching Photoshop).

I haven’t tried this so it’s just a suggestion… please report back if that works or not.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Barry Rabin's picture
by Barry Rabin
March 10, 2010 - 3:45am

Hi, if I follow Trevor’s approach and save the version edited with an external editor such as PS, which then becomes a new master, how will the new PSD master be related to the original master (e.g. RAW file) if I don’t change the file name? I know the file extensions are different, but just wondering if there any issues here? I guess the same question applies to a simple export and re-import workflow, if the photo is imported back into the same project.

I ask b/c I’ve got about 150Gb of scanned 16 bit TIFF images, about 50-60Mb per file. I’d like to do a 1st pass edit in A3 for basics like dust and scratch removal, exposure, etc., then save to create new masters having smaller file size that can be used for future editing, and then move the original 16-bit TIFFs off my HD to an archive. Looking for the best possible workflow. Suggestions welcome, thanks.

Barry

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 10, 2010 - 4:00am

Barry,

When you “open in editor”, the version name gets a “Version 2” appended to it. Sounds like a reasonable workflow but unless you’re finding it too slow to browse the 16-bit TIFF files in Aperture once they’ve had adjustments applied, I’d just leave it as-is. In this whole discussion I never bothered to ask “why” you want to do what you’re proposing. It’s going to take up extra space and I’m not sure you’ll see a huge performance improvement. Of course if your objective is to have a batch of retouched TIFF’s, then I suppose this makes sense. Guess it depends on what you really need/want to achieve!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?