You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture won't share #1
Grace Suarez's picture
by Grace Suarez
June 25, 2011 - 3:32am

Turned on home sharing, chose Advanced/Select photos. Says 0 photos (I have thousands). Tried fixing permissions, repairing library, opening another library and then switching back. Weird thing is that it worked yesterday morning, then stopped.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 25, 2011 - 4:35am

Hi Grace, and thanks for coming over from Twitter :)

I gotta be honest, I’ve never used it and so I just enabled Home Sharing, and I’m not even sure what I’m supposed to be seeing. I enabled it on the iMac (with Aperture) and in iTunes selected Advanced > Choose Photos to Share… as you did, and selected my Aperture library.

On another computer, where I can see the iTunes library from the iMac in iTunes, in iTunes, I don’t see anything that has anything to do with photos. I don’t see anything in iPhoto, and I don’t have an Apple tv here to see if that’s where it’s supposed to show up.

Sorry to be the one asking you questions!

Sharing is handled by the Aperture XML sharing database, which is enabled in Aperture’s preferences at Preferences > Previews > Share previews with iLife and iWork: Always or When quitting Aperture. You also need to have Previews rendered for at least some of your photos (to test if one has a preview, just try to drag it to the desktop. If it does, it does. If it won’t drag, you don’t have a preview). To render a preview for a single or selection of images from Photos > Update Preview.

I have an extensive article on Previews here: A Comprehensive Look at Thumbnails, Previews, and More in Aperture 3.

Anyway if you can help me understand what you’re supposed to be seeing, I can try to figure out why it’s not working!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Grace Suarez's picture
by Grace Suarez
June 25, 2011 - 6:20am

Suddenly, sharing started working again! Kinda hate it when that happens, because I still don’t know what caused it to stop working. Home sharing allows Apple TV 2 and other computers on the same network (but not iPad or iPhone) to share a computer’s iTunes library and photos stored in iPhoto or Aperture. It is enabled from iTunes/Advanced. Judging from the questions posted in the Apple forum, it is buggy. I’m hoping Lion will stabilize it. In the meantime, if you get the 0 photos message, try repairing permissions, repairing the Aperture library, switch from one library to another, and then kill a white chicken and wave it over the computer.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 25, 2011 - 7:46am

Oh a chicken… that’s what I was doing wrong.

That poor goat.

thanks for the info. I had a feeling it was just for the Apple TV

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness