You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture library of the boot drive? #1
Pall Silvan Ennigard's picture
by Pall Silvan Ennigard
May 31, 2014 - 8:00pm

After putting a SSD in the dvd drive on my late 2009 iMac and using the SSD as the boot drive, I am thinking of moving the Aperture library to my original 2 TB HD inside of my mac but keeping the Aperture app on my SSD.

My question is. Will I loose performance this way, and how would you guys make back-up of your hole system?

I like to clone my boot drive every 2 weeks, but having the library on the bigger drive, would that confuse aperture?

especial if I in future had to rebuild my drive/new drive ?

thanks

Ralph Mawyer Photography's picture
by Ralph Mawyer Photography
June 2, 2014 - 2:57pm

I’ve been doing this for a few years, with just under 2 TB of Aperture Libraries.  Basically all apps run from the 256GB SSD and the media files are on the 2TB HD, both on the iMac.

Time Machine backups the SSD and Clones are taken of the 2TB drive on a scheduled basis.  Aperture doesn’t care where the library is and at least this gives me the fastest thoughput as the HD is a direct connect on the iMac.  The first clone of the 2TB drive will take foreever, but incremental updates aren’t too bad beyond that.

Ralph Mawyer

San Antonio, Tx

www.RalphMawyerPhotography.com

Pall Silvan Ennigard's picture
by Pall Silvan Ennigard
June 3, 2014 - 9:17pm

Thanks Ralph, I think that is the way I will go as well, I could not make up my mind witch to clone and witch to use with time machine.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness