You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture incorrectly labels Canon 400mm f/2.8 lens #1
Michael Campanella's picture
by Michael Campanella
June 23, 2012 - 7:14pm

I was wondering if anyone had this same problem. I noticed that sometime between August 14th 2011 and September 23rd 2011 Aperture started mislabeling my Canon 400mm f/2.8 lens.

Previously it showed as “EF400mm f/2.8L IS USM” and on the 23rd of September 2011 any new photos it started showing as “Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L + 2x”

So it's now showing as having a 2x converter attached, which I never use and don't even own.

I believe this might have happen in coincidence with a software update. I noticed that before the 23rd of September 2011 my lenses are listed without the “Canon” and after they all list as “Canon” plus the lens model.

Anyone else experience this?

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
June 23, 2012 - 8:16pm

Try taking a photo with the lens but do not import it into Aperture. Open the image in Photoshop … or any other EXIF/IPTC aware app and check the File info to see exactly what the camera is writing to the file.

I would think, they Aperture is only reading the camera info it is presented in the file, though I could be wrong. Though this little test would tell for sure …

Michael Campanella's picture
by Michael Campanella
June 24, 2012 - 6:43pm

It’s definitely Aperture, the same RAW image will list the lens correctly in Photoshop CS5 and incorrectly in Aperture 3.3

john mactavish's picture
by john mactavish
September 15, 2012 - 6:39am

I have the same problem too. Not only when using the 400 on it’s own, but also when using it with a 1.4x tc. The “lens minimum” and “lens maximum” fields always display the correct focal length, e.g. 400 or 560 it’s just the lens model that is messed up. Again if I use Lightroom4, Capture One or PS CS6 to convert the raw files there is no problem.

Surely someone must have a simple fix for this

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness