You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture Auto Adjustments #1
Marty Krogh's picture
by Marty Krogh
April 13, 2012 - 7:40am

I just updated my camera to a Canon 5D Mark III, from a 5D Mark I. I had a Canon T2i prior to the 5D Mark I. I have always used Aperture with all 3 cameras.

With the 1st 2 cameras, I was able to use the “Auto” buttons for exposure & curves, to get an image “close”. I would adjust the sliders slightly to render a pleasing image.

Withe the Mark III, everything has changed dramatically. Selecting the auto buttons for these 2 adjustments creates a totally unpleasing image. The exposure is always adjusted to the plus side, up to 2 stops on some images. Selecting the auto button in curves (color), creates a very dark image with the colors blown out.

I am able to “manually” make pleasing adjustments, but I am curious why the vast difference between my new camera & the 2 old models. I have been saving my images in raw & JPG on the new camera. With the old cameras, the raw images were always much better after adjustments compared to the out-of-camera JPG's, so I never saved the JPG's. With the new camera it is just the opposite.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Marty

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
April 13, 2012 - 10:14am

Hi Marty,
I am assuming you have the new Raw Decode for the MarkIII. The Raw fine tuning brick is where you would make global changes first. And I have to add that if you work there it should be on a normally exposed typical subject matter shot. An earlier post mentioned the Hue boost and Exposure boost that could be adjusted. Start there and save your profile. The Raw decode is a guide, thou I haven’t changed mine, 1Ds MarkIII
Hope this helps

David

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 13, 2012 - 11:43am

Marty,

I’m very surprised to hear this. Would you mind sharing a RAW and JPEG pair that I can have a look at? Needless to say this should be an photo where the JPEG is something you consider to be good; properly exposed and preferably full range (blacks to whites). I’d love to check it out on my system.

thanks
-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Marty Krogh's picture
by Marty Krogh
April 14, 2012 - 12:47am

Joseph,

Thanks for your assistance. I would be more than happy to send you a pair of images. I know how to send a JPG, but not the raw version. Could you provide help on doing this?

Thanks,

Marty

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 14, 2012 - 1:33am

Marty,

Great, thanks. If you go to the MORE menu in the menubar above, you’ll see a DROP BOX option. You can zip your files and upload them there.

To be sure you’re sending me the originals, select both files in Aperture and go to the menu File > Export > Master then zip those and upload them per the instructions on the DROP BOX page.

thanks!

@PhotoJoseph

Marty Krogh's picture
by Marty Krogh
April 14, 2012 - 5:58am

Hi Joseph,

I uploaded the images for you review. I also signed up for the mailing list.

Thanks,

Marty

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 14, 2012 - 9:10am

Marty,

I ran auto Exposure on the RAW, and it’s bright but it’s accurate — the original image is definitely underexposed if you look at the histo [screenshot]. However running Auto Curves, which is usually my preference, gives what I’d consider to be a near-perfect image [screenshot].

Is this not what you’re seeing?

I haven’t touched the RAW decode settings at all.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Marty Krogh's picture
by Marty Krogh
April 14, 2012 - 11:12pm

Joseph,

I applied the same Auto Curves adjustment to the raw image and placed it in DropBox. The colors in mine are definitely different than yours. Do you agree?

Marty

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 15, 2012 - 2:44am

Marty,

You uploaded the RAW to me again. You need to export a JPEG of the results (or just share a screenshot) so I can see what’s happening).

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Marty Krogh's picture
by Marty Krogh
April 15, 2012 - 7:07am

Joseph,

Sorry about that. I uploaded a JPG into DropBox.

Marty

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 15, 2012 - 11:46am

Marty,

That image looks like an RGB auto curves as opposed to Luma. There are other settings in the gear menu that may be different as well.

I recommend you watch the Live Training Session 011 Curves. This may explain a lot as to what’s happening.

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?