You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture 3/Nik Suite Workflow Question #1
Jason Finner's picture
by Jason Finner
July 14, 2011 - 12:04am

Hello all,

I recently purchased the Nik Effects Suite for A3…love the programs but once I make edits and click Save, Nik generates a 100MB TIFF file.

a) What is the easiest way for me to generate a jpeg - export as a jpeg, then re-import (seems tedious).
b) Once I generate a jpeg, should I delete the TIFF file (especially since its 100MB+

Thanks

JF

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 14, 2011 - 1:28am

Jason,

You probably have your preferences set to create a 16-bit TIF file. Since you are asking to convert it to JPEG afterwards, then certainly you’re not interested in all 16-bits, so I’d suggest that you set your preferences to 8-bit. That will help with the file size tremendously, and perhaps you won’t need to go JPEG after all.

As far as converting a file to JPEG, we have a great script for that called Convert Master File Format.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
July 14, 2011 - 10:04am

I only have NIK HDR Efex Pro so I’m not positive that it works with all the plugins, but there is a setting in the plugin for what kind of file it returns to Aperture. The default for HDR Efex Pro is 16bit TIFF. But you can change it to 8bit TIFF or JPEG. And if you select JPEG you can select the quality.

After opening an image in the Nik plugin, click the settings button at the lower left. In the Settings Dialog, open the Image Output Settings section by clicking the arrow. Use the popup menu to change the image output type.

I think Nik makes all their plugins work the same so I’d be willing to bet the other plugins have the same settings.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?