You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture 3 will not export #1
stephen justice's picture
by stephen justice
June 21, 2011 - 11:08pm

This just started yesterday when attempting to send a version of an image to a folder on the MAC–Aperture 3 will suddenly quit; also noticed that I cannot upload images from a folder to my Facebook albums. Aperture library opens and I can correct the image, but not able to send the version to a folder?

stephen r justice

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 22, 2011 - 1:33am

Stephen,

Have you…

1) restarted the computer since this started?
2) tested with other photos than the ones you originally were trying with?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

by stephen justice
June 22, 2011 - 11:04pm

Aperture 3 functioning again after restart but after about thirty minutes the evil colored pizza wheel showed up and that continued for some time. I finally shut off the computer and restarted it once again, but Aperture 3 library would not load and open up. I shut off the computer again and waited 30 minutes to start up again. I got back into the library, but feel all is not right but do not know what to do to fix it. I have maxd out the memory capacity for this mid-2007 MAC, so I cannot add any additional memory. I have noticed that the back of this unit gets hot and that was the case yesterday. Do I have a problem unrelated to Aperture 3? Do I need to retire this MAC and invest in a new one or can this unreliability problem be fixed?

stephen r justice

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 23, 2011 - 5:09am

Stephen,

It sonds like the library needs a little service. It’s easy to do but depending on the size of your library, could take some time. You may want to do this overnight.

Launch Aperture while holding down the command and option keys. You will get a dialog offering to Repair Permissions, Repair Database, or Rebuild Database [screenshot]. Choose the middle option; Repair Database and let it run overnight.

You may want to consider upgrading your Mac but that’s not why you’re having these problems. There’s more we can do as well but let’s start with this!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Kathryn W.'s picture
by Kathryn W.
June 23, 2011 - 10:54am

I’m curious, should you Repair Permissions and Repair/Rebuild the Database every once in a while to keep things healthy behind the scenes, or are these employed only when you’re experiencing problems?

Kathryn

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 24, 2011 - 7:35am

Kathryn,

I’d do a repair every so often, sure. Usually you won’t think of it until you DO have a problem, but I can’t imagine that it’d hurt.

Repair is pretty dramatic, and I’d only use that if necessary.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

by stephen justice
June 24, 2011 - 11:04pm

Ran the repair database–took less than one hour; so far so good; anything else that should be done? thanks again

stephen r justice

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 25, 2011 - 12:35am

Stephen,

Nope, if it’s working now, that’s great!

If you use File Vault, now would be a good time to run it again, so you have a clean snapshot of the Library in it’s current state.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?