You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Another Backup question #1
Graham Hodge's picture
by Graham Hodge
November 5, 2014 - 1:03am

Hi, I have Aperture 3.6 and am trying to simply copy all my photos to an external drive, about 30,000. I tried export, but all the image dates on the copied file change to todays date. How can I make a copy and keep all the metadata ?

I did try from iPhoto, but that was worse, I was continually hitting the cancel button with the many images that were missing or could not be found by iPhoto.

Thanks for any help.

Taking Pics in Tassie

Robin Clark's picture
by Robin Clark
November 5, 2014 - 10:22pm

Hi Graham

Sounds like you need to pre-order Joseph’s latest live training - session 118 Export.  I’m certainly ordering it.  I’m up to session 114 so far.

Regards

Robin

Graham Hodge's picture
by Graham Hodge
November 6, 2014 - 4:55am

Sounds good Robin, but I am wondering if I need 118 session tutorial to do a simple (?) task such as exporting photos. Eventually, I hope to upload the photos to a cloud service, and put them onto a windows machine that I’m about to buy.

Taking Pics in Tassie

Robin Clark's picture
by Robin Clark
November 6, 2014 - 9:57am

Hi Graham

Wasn’t trying to duck the issue but I only take jpgs and run a managed Aperture library so my method of exporting will undoubtedly be different to a RAW taker and referenced Aperture library.

To muddy the issue further I use the Aperture to Zenfolio plug-in that allows integrated export/uploads direct from the library to my Zenfolio cloud storage.

Re the windows export just remember that when you transfer files from a mac to a windows device there is a mac file per image that you can remove as it has no use on a windows machine.  From memory it is the same name as the image but with (I think) a “./” tacked on at the beginning

Regards

Robin

Kodora's picture
by Kodora
November 6, 2014 - 5:31pm

You only need to copy your photo library to the external drive in Finder.

Graham Hodge's picture
by Graham Hodge
November 8, 2014 - 1:58am

Thanks Kodora, did that but it seems it can only be opened by Aperture, I want save all images so they can be opened in other photo apps, incl on. Windows PC

Taking Pics in Tassie

Joseph Samuels's picture
by Joseph Samuels
November 8, 2014 - 3:40pm

I use Chronosync to maintain four rotating back-ups of my Aperture Library.  To get started, rather than simply use the Copy command in the Finder, use Chronosync to make an exact copy of your Aperture Library.  All dates, files, etc. should be identical to your primary library.

jsamu50901

Kodora's picture
by Kodora
November 9, 2014 - 2:19pm

When you export your photos, new files are created. So, the file dates will reflect that. However, Aperture shouldn’t have changed the metadata (EXIF) unless you tell it to do so. You can see the capture date/time and other EXIF data with other softwares (including Preview; open the Inspector).

Good luck if you are trying to rebuild the entire photo library outside of Aperture. I haven’t done that and will refrain from offering any speculative suggestions.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?