You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
After deleting projects, disk space not returned #1
david allen's picture
by david allen
May 27, 2010 - 10:52pm

New to Aperture I first copied all my iphoto library to aperture. This took a long time and used a lot of space (55gb) I then deleted each project, enptied aperture trash and normal trash and then ‘linked’ to my iphoto library (3.3gb). The disk space freed up does not appear to be showing when looking at the disk info.
Any ideas?

subsea's picture
by subsea
May 28, 2010 - 10:08pm

Try disk tool and see what happens
Henrik

david allen's picture
by david allen
May 28, 2010 - 10:26pm

Sorry Henrik but I don’t understand. What is disk tool and where do I find it?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 29, 2010 - 6:02pm

David,

The sizes you’re describing seem way out of whack, but let’s see where the space has gone. Locate the Aperture Library in the Finder (default location is ~/Pictures/Aperture Library) and get info on that; let’s see how big that is. If it’s around 50GB, then that’s where all your space went. But that seems very odd to me; no way 3GB of files in iPhoto should take up 50GB of space in Aperture. The space in Aperture would just be the preview files, and that’s way too much space. How many images are we talking about here, anyway?

If it’s NOT around 50GB, but dramatically smaller, then your HD space is being eaten up by something else. Check out the excellent (and free, I believe) OmniDiskSweeper to locate big files lurking away on your drive.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

david allen's picture
by david allen
May 29, 2010 - 7:04pm

Thats done it, thanks. I made a silly mistake. I think I emptied trash too quickly after emptying aperture trash. Aperture trash was still in normal trash.
Size is ok as I made another mistake in the above post not 3.3gb but 13.3 gb which I was refering to the new aperture library size.
Omnidisksweeper was a great recommendation.
Many thanks

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 29, 2010 - 7:07pm

David,

Glad to hear it!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness