You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Advice on specing a new iMac #1
Gavin Hall's picture
by Gavin Hall
August 8, 2011 - 7:37pm

Okay ladies, question time.

I'm looking for someone who has some experience with the relative performance of the Sandy Bridge iMacs. I've already decided that there's going to be no mucking around - straight to 16Gb of RAM (although I won't buy this from Apple.)

Is there much of a difference between the 2.7GHz Core i5 and the 2.8GHz Core i7 on the 21.5” model?

And then how do these compare to the 3.1GHz i5 or the 3.4GHz i7 option in the 27” model.

I don't really want a 27” screen but wonder if the 21.5” is of the same quality - is the only difference the size?

Also, to SSD or not to SSD?

My overriding priority is Aperture performance but I'm not sure how all these options will affect what you get in the real world.

Any thoughts?

Stuart's picture
by Stuart
August 8, 2011 - 10:31pm

Hi Gavin,

I have been looking to upgrade from my current MacBook Pro 2.66 (June 2009) 8GB DDR Ram. Have not decided yet if I will go with a new MacBook Pro or the iMac. One thing is for sure like you I will not purchase the ram from Apple. To me they are way over price. I usually purchase from OWC as they have the best price.

Now if you have not already done so check out http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html to compare the 21.5” to the 27”.
The two items that stand out for me are the graphic card and the Thunderbolts ports.
From what I see the 21.5 only has only 512MB of GDDR5 memory for video. From what I am finding out the more video memory you have the better Aperture performs. The 21.5” also only has one Thunderbolt port where the 27” has two.

A far as the SSD goes that is very costly at this time. At least to me. However if you can afford the cost of the SSD I would jump on it. But what I am really looking at is the new Thunderbolt. Just waiting to see what will be hitting the market.

Stu

Jim Bailey's picture
by Jim Bailey
August 8, 2011 - 11:01pm

hi gavin, good call on the RAM, altho I have 12GB and it never seems to use more than that, even with large RAW files.

You may want to pick up a 1TB portable H/D (Seagates are like $80) to use as your Aperture Vault, and make sure to get a large (2TB+) Firewire H/D for Time Machine backup. I would invest money into those as opposed to getting SSD.

Not sure about the video RAM if that makes a difference; I hear it does for very intensive graphics like gaming, as opposed to photo editing.

Since I run a 2nd display (Samsung 24” LED) thru my Thunderbolt port with DVI adapter I opted for the 21.5 because 27 seemed like overkill, and I wanted to take the $$ saved to get the Vault and TM backup drives.

Good luck! JB : )

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 9, 2011 - 2:32am

Gavin,

Some of these questions were addressed
here; that’s a thread worth reading.

The old iMac smaller 21” screen vs the 24” was definitely an inferior quality screen. I don’t know about today’s comparisons though. I have the 27” and it’s glorious. Why wouldn’t you want that?!

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Gavin Hall's picture
by Gavin Hall
August 9, 2011 - 4:19am

Why wouldn’t I want a 27” screen? Okay, they look great but I already have a very nice 22” Eizo display running alongside my 20” Mid 2007 iMac. For my needs I think the 27” is overkill really.

What I’m more interested in is the internal specs of the computer. It’s a shame the Mac Pros are so damn expensive because I would personally prefer a tower device with easily swappable drives and graphics cards to an all in one.

iMacs are competitively priced compared to a tower PC with similar specs and quality monitor. However the Mac Pros use server grade Xeon processors which make them stupidly expensive for the performance they offer.

The trouble with all-in-ones is that a significant proportion of the cost is the screen which is still good for years of service at the point you want all new internals!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 9, 2011 - 4:49am

Fair enough Gavin :)

There’s thoughts on the SSD on that other discussion I linked you to. As far as the processors, I can’t personally compare the i5 to the i7, but AFAIK the i7 a serious processor… the i5 isn’t so much. But I’d look up proper speed tests.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness