You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
32gb of ram new slim imac #1
stump4545's picture
by stump4545
November 20, 2012 - 11:22pm

if i was to get a new to the max imac with fastest processor and ssd drive would installing additional ram for ex 32gb of ram rather then the 8gb it comes with really speed up aperture or not really?

in what areas would 32gb speed up aperture 3 (instead of 8gb) or is that overkill and only for video editing?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
November 21, 2012 - 12:12am

Hey
I would say that 8 is now low and the standard for a Photographer is 16 when purchasing a new machine. I dont know if the imac can be opened up in two years and switched from 16 to 32, but I might do it in steps. If its not too expensive and the iMac cant be updated later then I might get the 32 now and not have to think about it again. Ah America! the land of Bigger is Better.

If you are going to by a new iMac every two years stick to the 16gb this time.
My 2 cents which can’t buy any Ram.
Cheers dbm

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

stump4545's picture
by stump4545
November 21, 2012 - 1:14am

what will additional ram speed up specifically in aperture 3?

browsing through many photos in browser, images edits, importing or just speed up everything?

thanks

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
November 21, 2012 - 1:45am

Id have to leave that for someone else. I will say that when I had low ram my system slowed down and when I went to 8 my system was faster and more predictable. Since Im a commercial Photog I just buy more than I need so I can get work done and not think of it. All software as they get updated get more ram intensive, esp if you are starting in video or are doing family clips of videos and slide shows. So My thought if Photo is a career or a major hobby get as much as you can along with HDs and backups. You know all that already so hopefully someone else with a more scientific answer will chime in. I have 8 now and my MBP is very close to needing a new machine. 16 is a no brainer for me but 32 I will also ponder at that time of purchase. DBM

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
November 21, 2012 - 7:27am

Whenever you are dealing with RAW images, more RAM is more better … :-)

Bad grammar aside, for RAW processing software and hardware performance is always enhanced by the availability of as much RAM as you can afford to have available. Image data can be written, adjusted and manipulated in RAM much easier and more efficiently than trying to get by an less resources. This is especially important if you are working with large quantities of RAW images in the 24+ MP range … in other words … you can clog up and/or stifle an otherwise very robust system with a few hundred 36 MP Nikon D800 images with only having 8GB RAM available … but that sam 8GB would work out well for cameras that record much smaller files … keep in mind, as time goes by, new camera sensors gather more data rather than less … so planning on a bit more horsepower for the short term couldn’t hurt.

This keeping in mind that early reports indicate that the new 21.5” iMac isn’t easily user upgraded (if at all) as far as RAM goes though the 27” version will be more user RAM upgrade friendly.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness