LUMIX BS1H — a LUMIX S1H, but in a Box!
Photo Moment - October 07, 2021
The new Panasonic BS1H is the full frame S1H camera in a box-camera format, nearly identical in size to its little brother, the micro four thirds BGH1!
Watch the video above, and scroll down for press releases from Panasonic and ATOMOS.
Table of Contents
- Featured gear in this video
- S1H vs BS1H vs BGH1 comparison chart
- LUMIX BS1H Overview
- Panasonic Lumix BS1H Press Release
- ATOMOS Ninja V & Ninja V+ for LUMIX BS1H Press Release
- Full Video Transcript
- LUMIX BS1H
- LUMIX S1H
- LUMIX BGH1
- Freewell magnetic filters [watch the video]
- Smallrig BGH1 cage (fits BS1H; I don't know if they will update but this one does work!)
- Tilta Nucleus Nano follow focus system
- ATOMOS Ninja V or Ninja V+ Monitor
- Angelbird 1TB SSD
- ANDYCINE Ninja V Cage
- SWIT S-8D58 Battery
- Fotasy M42 to L-Mount lens adapter
- Super Takumar 50mm lens (eBay)
- 3D printed follow focus gears
Compact and suitable for cine drones, remote setups, and expandable for cine work as well as multi-camera broadcast work, the Panasonic Lumix BS1H Full-Frame Box-Style Live & Cinema Camera is a modular digital cinema camera with a small form-factor that bellies its full-frame sensor. It features a 24.2MP sensor, a Leica L lens mount, and a wide 14+-stop dynamic range to accommodate extreme lighting changes when recording in V-Log. It records video with resolutions up to 5.9K as well as C4K (4096 x 2160) and UHD4K, and it incorporates VariCam Look workflows.
The camera features dual-native ISO using its Venus Engine, anamorphic support, advanced AF (autofocus), numerous remote and power options, and supports HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) color for vivid imagery to aid professional color grading. There are many features packed into this tiny camera that make it the go-to production camera in any mobile and multi-camera production environment.
The BS1H provides multiple ways to record your footage to high data rate files in the ALL-Intra LongGOP, MOV, and MP4 recording formats with H.264 and H.265/HEVC codecs. The camera supports unlimited recording time and allows you to record 10-bit 4:2:2 video using the camera's dual SD card slots. It can output up to 4K via the HDMI 2.0 output, or you can output up to 1080p resolution via SDI. The camera allows you to output via HDMI and SDI simultaneously, so you can use one signal for monitoring and the other for recording. It also supports recording at variable frame rates for high-quality, slow-motion video. Custom 3D LUTs can be uploaded into the camera, using the SD card slots.
The BS1H is also an ideal camera for multi-camera environments, not only because it's highly mobile, but it includes timecode and genlock BNC ports, so you can sync it with other cameras to make syncing in postproduction easy. Its RJ45 Gigabit LAN port allows you to sync with other networked BS1H cameras, manage the camera settings and functions, and even perform direct IP streaming with a future firmware update. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functionality are also integrated for monitoring, configuration, and control via a smartphone or tablet, using the LUMIX Sync app. Another function integrated into the BS1H is a USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C input to control the camera with the LUMIX Tether app, which allows you to capture still images and control up to 12 BS1H cameras. Audio features include high-grade 48 kHz/24-bit LPCM format, an integrated stereo microphone, a 3.5mm mic/line-level input, and a 3.5mm headphone output. The optional DMW-XLR1 XLR adapter can be utilized, using the camera's integrated hot shoe, allowing you to record with professional microphones.
Its compact body measures less than 4” square and weighs only 1.3 lb, so it can be used on gimbals or drones for high-quality, stabilized footage. Its internal fan keeps the camera cool during long shoots, and its aluminum and magnesium housing provides protection and adds to the cooling factor. It also features 9 x accessory mounting threads for mounting onto a plate, cage, or tripod mount. There are four user-programmable function buttons around the housing as well as tally lights on the front and rear. You can power the BS1H using the included power adapter, with a separately available high-capacity VBR-type battery using its integrated mount, or by using PoE+ (Power-over-Ethernet) via the LAN port with compatible PoE equipment.
Sensor and Processing Engine
- 24.2 MP sensor with low-pass filter
- Dual native ISO 100-51200 and 50 to 204,800
- 10-bit C4K/4K 59.94/50 video (35mm)
- 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording
- VFR C4K/4K, 2 to 60 fps, FHD 2-180 fps
- 14+ stops of dynamic range with V-Log and V-Gamut
- Compatible with the “Cinema VariCam Look”
- Supports LUT files
- LUT-applied images viewable on SDI and HDMI outputs
- Supports 6K, 5.9K, 5.4K, C4K, and 4K in full-frame mode
- Supports C4K, 4K, Anamorphic 4K (4:3 aspect ratio), and FHD in S35mm mode
Recording and Output
- The camera records internally at 4:2:2 10-Bit/8-bit as well as 4:2:0 10-bit/8-bit to dual UHS II SD card slots that support cards with speed ratings up to V90
- The camera outputs Blackmagic RAW or ProRes RAW via the HDMI port for external monitoring and/or recording
- You can simultaneously output RAW over HDMI and video over SDI
- You can record internally, while simultaneously output FHD over SDI and up to 4K over HDMI
- Using the LUMIX Tether app version 1.1 or higher or LUMIX sync, you can record internally, output over both HDMI and SDI, and output via wired LAN or Wi-Fi
The camera features an Ethernet port that allows you to remotely control up to 12 x BS1H cameras. You can power the camera via PoE+ protocol over a network that supports PoE+, and you can also stream directly from the camera using the RTP/TRSP protocols. The camera supports streaming UHD 4K and FHD as well as 1280 x 720p.
Supports Genlock and Timecode
The BS1H supports Genlock as well as Timecode in/out, providing synchronization of cameras for live sports or later postproduction.
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
The camera supports both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
- Frame Indicator (red outline surrounds frame indicating the camera is recording)
- Frame Marker
- Vertical Position Information
- Streaming Blue Frame Indicator
- Aspect Ratio masks
- Face/Eye recognition for focus tracking
- Low Light AF supports images with exposure levels down to -6EV
Panasonic Announces the LUMIX BS1H Full-Frame Box-Style Mirrorless Live and Cinema Camera Featuring A Compact Body with 6K 24p / 5.9K 30p 10-bit Unlimited Video Recording Capability
Newark, NJ (October 7, 2021) - Panasonic is proud to announce the release of the new full-frame box-style LUMIX Digital Single Lens Mirrorless Camera, the DC-BS1H. As its name suggests, the LUMIX BS1H is a versatile box-style camera that combines the cinema-quality video performance of the LUMIX S1H with an easy-to-deploy box-style profile. The LUMIX BS1H accommodates a 24-megapixel full-frame sensor with Dual Native ISO technology and includes features such as 6K full-area high resolution recording, impressive bokeh, excellent low-light performance, wide dynamic range of 14+ stops, V-Log and more.
The high connectivity and mobility of the BS1H enable users to flexibly use the camera to create their ideal camera system according to the scenario. In addition, consistency among their images minimizes post-production processing when used alongside other Panasonic LUMIX production cameras such as the BGH1 or the S1H.
Cinema production quality video with 35mm full-frame sensor
The BS1H contains a 24.2-megapixel 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor (35.6 mm x 23.8mm) that captures 6K resolution. With an active resolution of 6,024 x 4,016, the BS1H delivers approximately 24.2 million photosites. Adoption of an OLPF (Optical Low Pass Filter) suppresses moire and false color. The image sensor with Dual Native ISO in the BS1H minimizes noise generation by choosing an optimal circuit to use according to the sensitivity before gain processing. In combination with optimum signal processing by the Venus Engine, it assures maximum ISO 51200 high sensitivity recording with minimum noise.
Maximizing the use of the pixels in the full-frame image sensor, the LUMIX BS1H is capable of 6K/24p, 5.4K/30p (3:2 aspect ratio) or 5.9K/30p (16:9 aspect ratio) high-resolution, smooth video recording. It also provides 10-bit 60p 4K/C4K*1 HEVC video recording when using the image area equivalent to Super 35mm. The 4:2:2 10-bit 4K30p is recordable in H.264 at its full area. Its high-resolution data can also be used for creating 4K videos with higher image quality or for cropping images in 4K.
The LUMIX BS1H imports the renowned colorimetry of the VariCam lineup of Panasonic cinema cameras, enabling filmmakers to capture accurate colors and rich skin tones. The LUMIX BS1H delivers 14+ stops of Dynamic Range with a V-Log to precisely reproduce everything from dark to bright areas. V-Log/V-Gamut delivers a high dynamic range and broad colors and creates a greater level of play for the images in post-production processes. The LUMIX BS1H’s CMOS sensor achieves a wide color gamut known as V-Gamut, which is the camera’s optimum color space and achieves a color space that is wider than BT.2020. V-Log has log curve characteristics reminiscent of negative film and V-Gamut delivers a color space even larger than film.
In addition to HDR (High Dynamic Range) video recording, the camera records video with a designated gamma curve compatible with ITU-R BT.2100, and the user can now choose Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) in Photo Style.
The LUMIX BS1H also provides real-time subject detection with an advanced deep learning technology to set precise focus on the target subjects such as humans and animals even moving at fast speeds.
A wide variety of recording formats, frame rates and resolutions in maximum 6K
The LUMIX BS1H is capable of 4:2:2 10-bit 4K 60p/50p HDMI output. Designed to satisfy wide-ranging creative needs, the LUMIX BS1H adopts a new heat dispersion structure which achieves unlimited video recording in a variety of recording formats, including 4:3 Anamorphic mode, and provides two alternatives for RAW workflow. [5.9K] / [4K] / [Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K] 12-bit RAW video data can be output over HDMI to save Apple ProRes RAW on the Atomos Ninja V or save Blackmagic RAW on the Blackmagic Video Assist 12G HDR.
|Area||Resolution||Frame Rate||Aspect Ratio||HDMI Output|
|Super 35mm||4K (4128x2176)||59.94p/50p/29.97p/25p/23.98p||17:9||12-bit|
|Super 35mm Anamorphic||3.5K (3536x2656)||50p/29.97p/25p/23.98p||4:3||12-bit|
- V-Log or V709 is selectable on the external monitor through SDI during RAW output.
- Shooting assist functions including V-Log View Assist, Luminance Spot Meter and Zebra Pattern can be used during RAW output
Apple ProRes RAW
– Selectable recording mode depends on the firmware version of Atomos Ninja V.
– Please refer to the Atomos website for the information on the corresponding firmware version of Atomos Ninja V.
– Software that supports Apple ProRes RAW is required to edit RAW video recorded with NINJA V. Apply the LUT (Look up table) available on the following customer supports site to make the same color grading as V-Log/V-Gamut https://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/lut/s1h_raw_lut/
– All functions may not be available depending on the situation.
– Selectable recording mode depends on the firmware version of Blackmagic Video Assist 12G HDR.
– Please refer to the Blackmagic Design website for the information on the corresponding firmware version of Blackmagic Video Assist 12G HDR.
– DaVinci Resolve or DaVinci Resolve Studio is required to play back and edit Blackmagic RAW data. DaVinci Resolve Studio is required to deliver projects using Blackmagic RAW data in resolutions over 3840x2160.
– All functions may not be available depending on the situation.
The VFR (Variable Frame Rate) lets users record over cranked / under cranked video in C4K/4K (60 fps, maximum 2.5x slower in 24p) and FHD (180 fps, maximum 7.5x slower in 24p). The minimum frame rate for quick motion video is 2 fps. In addition, HFR (High Frame Rate) video with sound is recordable even when using auto focus. Further, a variety of effects are available for producing a slow-motion video through the postproduction process.
To support a growing need for live streaming, the BS1H provides an IP streaming function that enables distant, high-quality image transmission to the social streaming platform online with PC connection over wired LAN. Notably, the LUMIX BS1H can stream 4K 60p (50p) video in H.265. The H.265 realizes half the bitrate while keeping the image quality the same as H.264, which means it can provide 2x higher image quality at the same bitrate as H.264. Streaming in ultra-high definition 4K at low bitrate is possible even in the cases where the bandwidth is not broad enough.
A wide range of connections for unlimited possibilities
Composed of aluminum and magnesium alloy, the LUMIX BS1H body frame enables a compact and lightweight, yet durable, box-style camera, and provides a variety of practical ports. In addition to a USB 3.1 Type-C, a 3G-SDI (BNC) and an HDMI Type-A terminal are equipped, which can be used for simultaneous output. Moreover, Genlock IN (BNC) and Timecode IN/OUT (BNC) functions which enable multi-angle synchronized video recording are available to build a scalable system with manufacturer-agnostic external monitors, rigs and gimbals. When connected to LAN, Power over Ethernet+ (PoE+) makes it is easy to install both physically and electrically. Control over maximum 12 sets of LUMIX BS1H cameras*2 is available using Panasonic PC software LUMIX Tether for Multicam. The LUMIX BS1H is also equipped with a double SD Card slot for backup recording or relay recording.
Use of LUMIX S Series lenses with BS1H provides further advantages. The Boost I.S.(Video) function (Image Stabilizer) can be used and superior AF/AE control is available when the LUMIX S Series lens with O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) is mounted.
Other practical features
- Tally lamps (front 1 and rear 1), a network connection lamp
- Operation Lock switch and 5 function buttons
- Φ3.5 Audio (in/out) jack and compatibility with XLR microphone DMW-XLR1 (sold separately)
- Generic remote control unit φ2.5mm
- 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connectivity and Bluetooth 4.2 (BLE)
- Remote camera control using application software (LUMIX Tether for Multicam and LUMIX Sync)
- Tethered photo shooting with LUMIX Tether for Multicam software
- A SDK*3 (Software Development Kit) for camera control via USB/LAN will be provided for free.
*1 Corresponding to 4K (4096×2160) as defined by Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI).
*2 Operation may be unstable depending on the connection environment and performance of the connected PC.
*3 The SDK for BS1H will be available at following site. https://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/soft/tool/sdk.html
– Apple and ProRes are trademarks or registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.
– ATOMOS / Ninja V are registered trademarks of ATOMOS Limited.
– ‘Blackmagic Design’, ‘Blackmagic RAW’ and ‘DaVinci Resolve’ are registered trademarks of Blackmagic Design Pty. Ltd.
– Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
– Some accessories are not available in some countries.
– Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
About Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company
Newark, NJ-based Panasonic Corporation of North America is committed to creating a better life and a better world serving consumers and also by enabling its business-to-business customers through innovations in Sustainable Energy, Immersive Entertainment, Integrated Supply Chain and Smart Mobility Solutions. The company is the principal North American subsidiary of Osaka, Japan-based Panasonic Corporation. One of Interbrand’s Top 100 Best Global Brands of 2020, Panasonic is a leading technology partner and integrator to businesses, government agencies and consumers across the region. Learn more about Panasonic’s ideas and innovations at www.na.panasonic.com.
Panasonic LUMIX BS1H 5.9K Apple ProRes RAW support coming soon for Ninja V & Ninja V+
Melbourne, Australia – 7th October 2021 – Atomos is delighted to announce another addition to the LUMIX and Apple ProRes RAW eco-system; the newly announced Panasonic LUMIX BS1H. When combined with either the Atomos Ninja V or Ninja V+ the LUMIX BS1H will be capable of recording up to 5.9Kp30, 4.1Kp60 and 3.5Kp50 anamorphic ProRes RAW.
Ninja V or Ninja V+ & the Panasonic LUMIX BS1H
The Panasonic LUMIX BS1H is the most recent camera released by Panasonic and is a versatile box style camera. It combines stunning cinema-quality video performance of the full-frame LUMIX S1H including impressive bokeh, low-light performance, wide dynamic range of 14+ stops V-Log and network connectivity. All in an the easy-to-deploy box-style profile with comprehensive professional I/O and many mounting options.
The camera’s consistent look of images minimizes post-production processing when used with other Panasonic LUMIX production cameras such as BGH1, a Micro Four Thirds box-style camera, or S1H, a full-frame mirrorless cinema camera, are used together. A great addition to the LUMIX BS1H is the renowned colorimetry of the VariCam line-up of cinema cameras.
The small and compact size makes it perfect for gimbal and drone shooting, plus flexible broadcast, cinema and multicamera production. Its full-frame 24.2 MP image sensor provides anamorphic capture and dual native ISO provide the next level of production utilising the power of ProRes RAW across the range.
The Ninja V or Ninja V+ and the LUMIX BS1H combination for multicamera productions, is facilitated by the camera’s LTC and Genlock inputs perfectly complemented with the Atomos UltraSync One wireless sync system* which works alongside the AtomX SYNC module for Ninja V and Ninja V+.
ProRes RAW - the new standard for RAW
ProRes RAW continues to build momentum in 2021 with over 30 cameras supported by Atomos, cementing its position as the industry standard for RAW video capture. ProRes RAW combines the visual and workflow benefits of RAW video with the incredible real-time performance of ProRes. The format gives filmmakers enormous latitude when adjusting the look of their images and extending brightness and shadow detail, making it ideal for HDR workflows. Manageable file sizes speed up and simplify file transfer, media management, and archiving. ProRes RAW is fully supported in Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro and Avid Media Composer, along with a collection of other applications including ASSIMILATE SCRATCH, Colorfront, FilmLight Baselight and Grass Valley Edius.
*When configuring the UltraSync One Genlock mode, please set output type to 1080i-PSF mode regardless of camera resolution setting.
Atomos exists to help creative professionals cut through technology barriers by creating easy to use, cutting-edge 4K and HD Apple ProRes monitor/recorders. These products give video professionals a faster, higher quality and more affordable production system, whether they create for social media, YouTube, TV or cinema. Atomos continues to demonstrate its commitment to putting users first through continual innovation at amazing price points. The company developed the AtomOS operating system dedicated to video recording with an elegant and intuitive touchscreen user interface and was also the first to implement the professional Apple ProRes RAW format for recording with cinema cameras. Atomos is based in Australia with offices in the USA, Japan, China, UK and Germany and has a worldwide distribution partner network.