You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Why are there still masters in my library? #1
george younis's picture
by george younis
March 25, 2012 - 12:36pm

Hello, i've just converted a 305GB library from managed to referenced. Peeking around in the aperture library package, I see 4.5GB of masters are still remaining. Digging deeper, some of them are present in the new reference location as well. Others, however, are not. Doesn't seem to make sense - if I converted the whole library then why are there stragglers? Would this be fixed by rebuilding the database?
Thanks

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 26, 2012 - 2:20am

George,

I’m guessing that the stragglers are photos you’d tagged as rejected, and depending on how you moved from managed to referenced, you could easily have missed those.

Easiest way to find them all is to create a Smart Album that looks for Managed files. I actually keep one in my Library Albums collection so I can check it with one click; every so often I’ll accidentally import a photo as Managed, and this is an easy way to spot them: [screenshot]. Also, Photo Stream will import photos as Managed, so you may want to move those out every once in a while.

Some things to watch out for: If you are sharing images through Facebook or flickr, then those synced albums will be managed. I’ve never tried moving them but I figure they are small enough and I don’t really want to mess with the system, or have to remember to move them out, etc., so I just leave them alone. You can identify those shared ones by looking for the broadcast icon: [screenshot].

Unfortunately there isn’t a “shared” parameter to search for in the Smart Album search, so you have to be a bit clever if you want to exclude those from your search. Here’s the Smart Album I actually use to identify straggler managed files but exclude any shared ones as well as any imported by Photo Stream (which you don’t have to do; you can certainly move ones imported by Photo Stream to referenced): [screenshot].

Let me know if that helps,

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness