You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
White Balance #1
Paul Simon's picture
by Paul Simon
August 4, 2013 - 10:56pm

I use Aperture with NIK plugins for my landscape images.

I am converting a D7000 with a 830nm filter for infrared.

Will Aperture be able to do a custom white balance. Photoshop and Lightroom can't. Many people have to use Nikons NX2 or Capture as raw converter with infrared images.

Thanks
Paul

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
August 12, 2013 - 3:57am

I believe the 830nm filter is a neutral density however at that point Do you need to worry about Accurate Color? Are you going to BW or are you staying in Color. Either way once you go infrared Im not sure it matters. Let me know Id like to learn! DBM

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Paul Simon's picture
by Paul Simon
August 12, 2013 - 9:23pm

830nm is for B&W. I am having camera converted at present. The degree of success with detail editing is enhanced with a good white balance even with this filter.

Most people who shoot IR, either use Nikon Capture of View NX2 for WB conversion or set up DNG for conversion.

It would be nice to stay within Aperture. I can round trip to Capture of View, get WB and then finish in Aperture and NIK.

Hopefully other people will join in.

Paul

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
August 13, 2013 - 6:01am

I have absolutely no idea.

Shooting IR is not something that has ever appealed to me, so I have never needed to explore it!

Could you use something like Expodisc to set custom white balance in the camera when you shoot? Or shoot a grey card and then use that to set WB using the dropper in Aperture and lift/stamp the images from that shoot?

Jennifer Wolf's picture
by Jennifer Wolf
January 11, 2014 - 1:42am

I just got a 720nm filter for IR photography and was looking for the same answers.  I would like to stay in Aperture and Nik if possible but it sounds like PS channel mixers are the way to go if you want to maintain some color but switch it. 

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness