You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
when creating a book in aperture... how do you? #1
Dan Hyman's picture
by Dan Hyman
September 7, 2010 - 11:35pm

two questions:
1- how can you preview the book in full screen as it will actually look. when I do print then preview it does not show as it will be printed with color, formatting etc

and
2- how can you choose a font tyoe and size for the entire book? I can do that when I create a book using shutterfly but working with text in aperture is a much more repetitive process of selection as far as i have been able to tell.
thanks!

Nathan Smith's picture
by Nathan Smith
September 8, 2010 - 8:08am

Dan,
As far as I can tell you have to change the font one page at a time. Even after changing the font and trying to save the page as a “New Document Master” this did not save the change to the font. While I know that its annoying to deal with changing all of them the only thing that I can recommend is ignoring it until you are finished laying out the book and then changing to font at the end. Not sure exactly how that would help but that is prob what I would do.

As for previewing the book you can press the “i” key to hide the inspector, then click the viewer button to hide the layout panel on the left. Here is a screenshot highlighting the button.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r132/themacguy2k/aperture-button.jpg

Once this is done then you can click the scale to fit button on the right to make the book fit to your window size. Another photo of that button.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r132/themacguy2k/aperture-button2.jpg

Not the most elegant solution but it might get you what you want. Joseph might have a better, all-in-one solution but that is what I do.

Good luck! :)

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 9, 2010 - 9:05am

Dan,

As fantastic as Aperture’s book tool is, there’s a lot of things missing, as you’ve discovered. There is no full screen preview for the book, however if you Print > PDF you will see it exactly as it would go to the printer. I’m not sure why you said the color, formatting etc. wasn’t there. As long as you’ve altered the boilerplate text, it will show up in the output and preview. If you don’t, then it won’t, because no one wants “lorum ipsum” showing up in their family holiday book :)

If you want a more book-like preview, consider opening an account at issuu.com. I think there’s a free version and you can upload a PDF, and preview it like a real book—page turns and all.

As for font, there really is no easy way that I’m aware of to globally change it. Even using the standard master techniques like you would find in Pages or Keynote don’t work here—where you would alter the Master page, then reapply the master to an existing page. This is something Apple needs to address in a big way.

good luck,
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness