by Henrik Lorenzen
February 6, 2015 - 12:20am

Well 

i just downloaded Photos 

Apple what have you done.. it is useless 

no bruches, no rating,

it is basically the same app as the one that is on iso8 

very disapointed, i guess it is capture pro or lightroom from now on

No 17” mac book pro, No aperture, will i might just go out and start using windows instead 

Don Truett's picture
by Don Truett
February 6, 2015 - 12:27am

Harkening back to that eternal thread on apertureexpert.com, I was chided and derided (has a nice ring) for suggesting that Joseph was putting lipstick on a pig with an optimistic expectation for Photos. I moved on to LR that day.

Now, it appears that Apple isn’t even applying makeup. This thing looks even more useless than I thought it would be. Which is saying something.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
February 6, 2015 - 1:52am

In your actual use of the application, what specifically are the aspects you find lacking?

Of course I am assuming you have based your assessment upon actual use of the product since you have such a distinct opinion.

Henrik Lorenzen's picture
by Henrik Lorenzen
February 8, 2015 - 9:24pm

Hey Butch

ther is no brushers, no lens correction 

it like a slim version of iphoto 

no for pro or semi pros but for everyone how dont want to edit there photos except a standard filets

if you have an iphone it is more less the same app just for mac

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
February 8, 2015 - 9:40pm

So … in your comparison of images processed in the Photos beta vs Aperture 3.6 … what is your opinion of overall image quality? Is it better, worse or the same? How many extensions/plugins designed for the new image pipeline did you use in your evaluation of the Photos beta? Links to the actual images processed would be helpful.

I base my opinion on what is “pro” based upon the actual finished image quality and the ease of achieving that product.

I’ve never felt the the quantity of sliders and tools included with the software was what made the tool a pro solution. The same as I actually test drive a vehicle rather than base my decision solely upon the specs listed in the brochure. 

This beta version’s publicly discussed life span can still be measured in just a few hours. Anyone else remember how the experts claimed that Aperture v1 was not a serious “pro” contender?

Lens correction … do you not recall the demo at WWDC last June referenced the use of lens correction? … it just may not be ready for release, or not open for discussion by beta testers under NDA.

You’ll pardon me if I withhold my final opinion until I have something to actually base my findings upon from actual use of the product.

Henrik Lorenzen's picture
by Henrik Lorenzen
February 8, 2015 - 11:30pm

Yes it is a Beta for sure 

the Raw conversion is the same as aperture 3.6 

plugins is not there and the it is not possible to take a round trip to photoshop 

there is no lift and stamp tool no presets 

but again this could come in the final version

i would hope that Apple made a Aperture 4 cos there is no better app that takes care of all the things that i need

but i for one will not wait for the final version what i could be

i used Aperture for years with great joy and i hate to start over with a new app, but such is life 

vidpixarts@gmail.com's picture
by vidpixarts@gmail.com
February 20, 2015 - 3:25pm

Butch , you always give me reason to take a deep breath and examine all analyses–and perhaps , find a little hope in the face of what seems to so many of us–abandonment.

Stuart's picture
by Stuart
February 6, 2015 - 12:33am

I saw the posting on Apple Website https://www.apple.com/osx/photos-preview/ for the release time of Spring. Just from my observation it looks to be more of a cumsumer program then that of a pro program. But with that said it is only the first version.

Richard's picture
by Richard
February 7, 2015 - 6:27am

Which would be a great option if it didn’t require using Windows.

SKR Imaging's picture
by SKR Imaging
February 9, 2015 - 3:06pm

One thing I noticed with all the reviews online as well as the Apple preview site; There is no mention of third party extensions (nothing concrete)..

hoping that they are waiting for final release to announce it (maybe they are working with developers on this).. 

If anyone using the beta could provide more input (if NDA allows it), it would be appreciated… for example: Is there a “more” button in edit view that allows to add new plugin/extesnion? 

Aleksander Lenart's picture
by Aleksander Lenart
February 11, 2015 - 4:58pm

I think it would not make sense to devoid a desktop version of Photos of any extensions, especially that its iOS counterpart enables such functionality now.

Sightings of ‘UXKit’ framework shipped alongside Photos in OS X 10.10.3 may be a good sign (I’m not a developer, so may be completely wrong, mind).

I just hope the experience with 3rd party extensions in Photos will be worth using it for more advanced editing. Wish Apple cooked a nice set of integrated ‘pro’ (I know, I know) extensions to bring Photos closer to feature set of Aperture.

We’ll see in Spring :)

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
February 11, 2015 - 5:39pm

It’s not uncommon for developer SDK to lag behind the release of an app … especially considering when they are building something new from the ground up.

Add into the equation that Apple has more or less adopted a annual OS X version update schedule … it is not unreasonable to accept that they would wait for the next OS iteration to offer the extensions pathway …

I, as much as anyone, would prefer sooner rather than later for this capability …. but there may be more to consider when rolling out such an option. 

SKR Imaging's picture
by SKR Imaging
February 12, 2015 - 6:47pm

Judging from previous keynotes, one could specualte that Apple will release Photos in Spring and then in June at WWDC 2015, could elaborate to Mac developers on how they can implement extensions in Photos..

Consumers would have had ample time to migrate to Photos and be ready to embrace the extensions in the next version of OSX. This, to me, would seem like the logical approach Apple could be taking.

Patience is really the key here.

avidos's picture
by avidos
February 15, 2015 - 4:41pm

Patience is key, but it’s a cheek expecting people to just keep waiting and seeing, you can’t make business decisions in that vain, may as well go see a soothe sayer.

I want Photos to work, but unless it is possible to implement proper DAM through it it won’t be for my pro needs, though will be nice for my iPhone stuff.

life is never simple

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?