You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
What to do with Recovered Project? #1
Zack Thomas's picture
by Zack Thomas
December 9, 2011 - 9:58pm

Hi, I'm hoping you guys may be able to help me with a weird issue and sorry in advance for the long post. I'm using Aperture 3 and updated to version 3.2.2 today, but think the issue must have occurred yesterday on 3.2.1. I use referenced masters which are on my computer.

Aperture hung a couple of times after having successfully exported a couple of photos (using the Zenfolio exporter), then decided it needed to rebuild either the library or the database (I can't remember the exact wording it used). It seemed to do this fine and didn't take that long, everything looked fine afterward so I didn't worry about it.

After doing the above update today I noticed that there is a new folder called 'Recovered Folder' which contains a single project called 'Recovered Project'. I think this must have been there prior to update but I just didn't notice it. This project contains over 10,000 photos all of which are from one particular folder which has many projects within it. The original folder, projects and photos are still there as they should be. However; this new folder contains both photos which are still contained in the original projects and many, many more that I had previously both sent to trash, emptied from the trash and, as I use referenced master, also emptied from the system trash too.

Where the photos are previously deleted files, they have the 'referenced image’s master has not been found' badge. The ones that I hadn't previously deleted don't have the badge. Also no image adjustments or file name changes are displayed on any of the photos in the recovered projects folder.

I'm guessing that the original previews that were created when they were imported for all the files in that project were never removed and they were re-found when the library was rebuilt or something like this.

So my questions are:
What should I do with this folder?
Will deleting it delete all of the masters for the photos I want to keep?
Is Aperture retaining all the previews and what can I do about this as it must be using up a lot of space?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
December 11, 2011 - 5:42pm

Just an ide:
If you have enough space, you can try this:
Make a proper backup using the wault system AND backup of your referenced files.
Export the recovered project as a library, incl master files.
Delete the recovered project inside aperture.
Check if all other photos you know should stay in other projects than the recovered one.
If yes, thats it, if not import/merge the exported library and you should be back to where you left.
Disclaimer: just an idea, no need to hit me if my idea don’t work for you !

Anybody with bigger insight ?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 13, 2011 - 6:25am

Zack,

kp’s tip is a pretty good way to do it, I think. However you may not need to go that far. If the photos (the ones you haven’t thrown away) are all referenced, and of course assuming that you’re confident that these photos do still exist in the other, original project, then go ahead and delete it and when you empty the Aperture trash, choose to NOT delete the referenced masters as well. Then verify that the photos in the original project do in fact still see their Masters, and you’re good to go.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Zack Thomas's picture
by Zack Thomas
December 17, 2011 - 2:50pm

Thanks kp and Joseph, deleting without deleting referenced masters worked. Cheers, Zack

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness