4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vaults gone missing? #1
MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
September 8, 2013 - 5:04pm

Hi Guys,
Had 2 vaults, now missing?
Google info pointed to just adding 2 vaults again?
Is this the right approach?
Is Aperture just “glitchy” software or am I doing something to cause the problem?
….Gary

Jim Pappas's picture
by Jim Pappas
September 10, 2013 - 12:44am

Gary,

I think we were discussing this over on MR. I have stopped using vaults and instead switched over to making a full clone of my library using Carbon Copy Cloner.

My rationale is that CCC is MUCH faster than Aperture at performing the backup. From what I can tell, there is no downside.

In Aperture, you have three choices of file management. Managed, Referenced, or Mixed Managed/Referenced. If you use the later two… then you need some type of cloning backup anyway in addition to vaults. If you use managed… then Aperture libraries are self contained and portable.

A vault gives Aperture all the information it needs to “recreate” a library at a particular snapshot in time. To me, that seems one step behind just having a snapshot of the library that is ready to run.

When Aperture is updating a vault, it does take forever. By contrast… I attach one of my two external HDDs (still called Vault_A & Vault_B)… and have CCC set up to clone my entire managed library (400GB). Since it is incremental backup, the entire process generally takes under 5 minutes.

BTW: For me, this is an “extra 3rd” backup that is manually rotated off site. My primary backup system is two fold: Time Machine/Time Capsule locally in the house… and Crashplan+/Crashplan Central to the cloud. Both of them run automatically and without human intervention.

Hope this help.

/Jim

/Jim Pappas

MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
September 10, 2013 - 10:31pm

Thank you Jim,
“I think we were discussing this over on MR
Your right!

Was actually hoping for feedback on how many here had this “missing vaults” problem as well
By the low volume of feedback. I guess it doesn’t happen too often
FWIW, my first vaults back-up took forever but now its quite quick since I have caught up with the editing, also, I think the maxed out iMac is helping
….Gary

MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
September 9, 2013 - 11:03am

Heads-up on progress,
I just added 2 new vaults,
Updated the new vaults, took forever,
then did a back-up
Hope I made the right decision?

….Gary

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness