You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vault Issues #1
Fred L's picture
by Fred L
September 27, 2012 - 11:06pm

Message: I purchased your 15 Tips on File Management. Great ebook and most helpful. Following your guidance I went from using the file vault to referenced on a LeCie d2 1TB drive. It works great and freed up 600GB of Mac HD which was out of space. My dilemma is the Vault photos. I moved the original vault file to a second LeCie 1TB drive. I assume that since my photos are referenced to the first LeCie the Vault is no longer storing new photos that are added. Ideally, I would like to delete the old Vault stored on drive 2 and make a backup copy of the files on LeCie 1. When I attempted to delete the vault photos by putting them in the Trash I could not erase them. They are still there. The Vault is also on LeCie 2. THis file is too big to allow a backup of LaCie 1.

So can I safely delete the Vault under this scenario? How do I get to delete it from Trash?

Computer is a iMac running OSX 10.8

Thanks,

Fred

Fred L.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 27, 2012 - 11:24pm

Fred,

I think what you’re running into is that the Vault is a locked file, so the OS won’t delete it, right? If you’re on Mountain Lion or even Lion, I thought that you’d get an option to delete even locked items… maybe not.

You could get info on the Vault in the trash, unlock it, then empty the trash.

If that’s not the problem, please let us know more of what you mean by “I could not erase them”. What happens?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Fred L's picture
by Fred L
October 2, 2012 - 12:10am

Yes, you are correct that I am given the option to unlock. I must have missed this the first time round.

The bigger question for me is the one I posed: Can I safely delete the vault from trash and LeCie2 and simply backup LeCie1 which holds the referenced files?

Fred

Fred L.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 2, 2012 - 1:48am

Fred,

The Vault contains more than your Originals (assuming a Managed library). It also contains all the metadata, adjustment instructions, the storage layout, basically everything in Aperture. It is, in fact, a copy of your Aperture library. If you have a Referenced library, then it contains everything except your Originals.

You should create a new Vault from your Library now that it’s referenced, and also back up your Originals on the 2nd LaCie drive. I wouldn’t delete the original Vault until you have created a new one and have a backup of your Originals.

I am a huge proponent of redundant backups, and recently discovered some interesting things about Vaults. If you haven’t already, I highly recommend you read Aperture Vault’s File Extension Secret as well as Cloud Backup; Backblaze in the Real World.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness