You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Upgraded Libraries won't open #1
Jon Dobyns's picture
by Jon Dobyns
August 10, 2012 - 12:41pm

” Message” To open this iPhoto library in Aperture, it first needs to be upgraded

Every time I upgraded an old Library to 3.3.2 and closed that library out and went back to it, I would get the message that this library was an outdated iPhoto library and needed to be upgraded and I had no way of opening the library at this point ( it is a bogus message per Apple, it's just telling you something is broken in the library and can't open).

If the files where Managed I was totally screwed as I could not drag it into a new library, as I would get the same message.

If the files where referenced I could create a new library in 3.3.2 and pull them into the new library, then had to consolidate the Masters, then relocate the Masters into a different file created from the new library

Time consuming to say the least

So while searching around in the Library “Package contents” comparing now good libraries to bad libraries, what I found was :

When a library was upgraded to 3.3.2 from a previous version i.e. 3.2.4, under ApertureData.xml, the Application was still showing as original Application Version 3.2.4

And when I Opened Aperture.aplib > DataModelVersion.plist > get info I did not have permission anymore

So I gave myself permission closed it out and relaunch the library and now it OPENS, but ApertureData.xml still shows it as the original outdated version 3.2.4

Now if I Close Aperture and Start it up with Option, Comand and rebuild the Data Base, ApertureData.xml shows the Application version is now 3.3.2 and all is well

I am no computer wiz by any means and I really don't know what those files are that I was getting into and maybe I am taking a long way around to fix this, but Apple Aperture Pros could not figure this out after countless sessions.

The original process of creating new libraries worked on referenced Libraries it did not seem to do the trick for the ones that where still managed

Apple Aperture guys do believe that something went south by using a Time machine back-up to restore after a Clean install of Mountain Lion

Now back to the other 15 libraries left to fix

Jon

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 14, 2012 - 3:14am

Jon,

Interesting observation and discovery, thanks for sharing.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?